Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Computer vs class

One of the issues I see here is using computer/adaptive learning in large part because students are not well prepared for higher education. Why not use this method in grade and high school rather than waiting for post secondary?

I find students are quite adept at using small personal electronic devices such as cell phones and tablets.  when it comes to using

heavy lifting programs such as excel or work processing that the students have a very difficult time utilizing these programs

which are very useful, powerful and used widely.  

There are times when I bring students into the computer lab to work on a project and I find them on social media websites. I'm thinking though, that maybe if they were not in a traditional setting and working at their own pace maybe this wouldn't be the case.

@BAKDAV1222

I also find it that when students use their cell and tablets, they know it inside out.  During my class session, because I teach intro to computers, I have them all open up the ITLAB whether they want to or not.  All other web pages aren't allowed unled they are on break.  I actually deduct points if something other than my classwork is on the screen.

Harry,

I agree with you, if some of this was already implemented in high school or secondary education maybe more students would

be more successful in school earlier on. I do think that utilizing iPads and computers for testing can be a problem because one can easily click on the wrong answer and submit so quickly. I have seen my 8th grader do this with iXL homework.

Thanks for your post.

-kelly

Donna,

I think you are correct. I'm often told by my students that they would prefer to do the work at home, when they can concentrate better. 

Sign In to comment