Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Testing

I think it is important to have the students either take an assessemnt or just quiz them on the objectives at the beginning of the course to see who knows what and which direction the instructor should go.

That maybe the way to do it in some classes, just is not always enough time, talking and asking questions, helps me, see in the direction the class needs.

In our cooking courses the assessments are very rigid in terms of what a student's proficiencies should be in order to pass. But that doesn't mean that he or she is an expert on the subject matter. A pretest or quiz or even some basic q and a on the first day can offer the instructor information on what objectives will require greater emphasis in that particular module.

Not only does pre-testing help assess where each student is at the beginning but it gives each student a feeling of accomplishment when they see that they already knew more than they thought.

Robin,

I agree. In addition, they will feel more confident in doing well in the course, knowing that they have mastered the prerequisite knowledge.

Tremayne Simpson

We use pretesting in some of our courses to gauge what the students are bringing into the class. Often we see an area that needs special work for the entire class, while other times the group needs to work on other issues. It is a great tool to help us tailor the class to the audience we have in front of us.

Phillip,

Providing pre-assessment can also assist in overall, curriculum building as well. For instance, if a large portions of the students in a class have a similar deficiency in a particular concept, the instructor may have to review the syllabus of the prerequisite course, to see if the topic was covered.

Tremayne Simpson

is pre-testing the same as quizzing to you?

Tami,

I feel that "pre-testing" is different than general "quizzing" because, pre-testing assesses the student's prerequisite skills/knowledge and is generally not apart of the grading criteria for the course. Quizzes are apart of the course grading criteria and they are used to assess the skills/knowledge that is obtained during the class.

Tremayne Simpson

It is a good idea to test students at the beganing to see what they know and to gage their learn. I look at testing a being a conversation on paper. I the instructor is asking a question and the student is responding to those questions.

Agreed, pretesting allows instructors to know thier audience and how to approach them, on the other hand, it may make those that do not do well feel incompetent and reduces thier morale which at times may be difficult to rebuild. I think pretesting should neither be a pass or fail.

I totally agree with this concept. you don't realize how much more they need to get started.

Raquel,

I agree. In addition, it is imperative that the instructor provides their students with "thought-provoking" questions, that can be used to adequately assess the student's preparedness for the course.

Tremayne Simpson

Raquel,

I agree. In addition, it is imperative that the instructor provides their students with "thought-provoking" questions, that can be used to adequately assess the student's preparedness for the course.

Tremayne Simpson

Raquel,

Tremayne Simpson

olaolu,

I agree. In all cases pretesting should not be graded, because it should solely be used to assess the student's knowledge and grasp of the subject. Attaching a grade to it, would make it "counterproductive".

Tremayne Simpson

I agree. Pretesting student about their level of understanding for the course material is very important. It helps them to know where they are and how seriously the incoming topics are to be taken.

John,

In addition, pretesting can serve as a reminder that they should review previously learned material, prior to starting the next course in the sequence. I always remind students that they should not "throw away" the knowledge that they have gained in previous courses.

Tremayne Simpson

I agree. But we must be careful to not dumb down our lesson to accommodate one student while bogging down another.

I agree. This help the instructor to know which students are weak in certain areas.

Sign In to comment