Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

testing

I give a 5 question test at the begining each new class to assess how much they know. Then I get them to write a short paragraph on what they think is important about the classes. believe it or not I get alot of insite out of this.

Cecil,

This sounds like an effective method for assessing student retention of information. Do the tests count towards the students' grades or are they used for assessment only?

Tremayne Simpson

Sounds like a great idea we have implemented this into some of the classes, and it seems to be working very well.

By know how much and what the students know, you can now focus on their weak points and not spend a lot of time on the information they already know.

All students must be tested some how, weather ist at the beginning,middle or the end,Simple,easy or very chalenging its good to see how much they do, or do not know. Once this is done ,you can continue.

John,

I agree and I am a huge proponent of providing students with pre and post, diagnostic assessments. It is also a great tool for time management in the course, becausse an instructor can use the results to determine how they should allocate time,for each topic.

Tremayne Simpson

John,

I agree and I am a huge proponent of providing students with pre and post, diagnostic assessments. It is also a great tool for time management in the course, becausse an instructor can use the results to determine how they should allocate time,for each topic.

Tremayne Simpson

I have also done this recently and it help me identify the students that needed more help.

This is deffinetly helpful. It allows you to know where the classes strengths and weaknesses are. This will enable you to prepare a better lesson plan.

I think this is a good idea for retention. Students will not usually miss school if there are tests involved.

I agree testing is good however I quiz my students on how to incorporate material learned from class into real life situations so that they can relate and remember course matereial.

I start out a new class with 14 question quiz to see what they remember form the last class.

jeannie,

This sounds like an effective strategy. Do you review your questions with the instructor of the prerequisite course, to ensure that the students were taught the appropriate information?

Tremayne Simpson

I agree.
By measuring the student's knowledges I can plan and manage my next classes.

The pretest tends to freak my students out, especially when they have test anxiety, even if it is not being graded.

Kathleen,

In order to avoid this, another method is to use a euphemism and title the assessment/test as "survey". This is something that I have done in the past and the simple change in wording, has an impact on their feelings about the assessment. Overall, I was still able to conduct a proper assessment of their previous skills.

Tremayne Simpson

I like this idea of calling it a "survey." I need to assess what they remember from the last class, but I don't like the students to get so stressed out over something that probably doesn't count toward their grade. I think I am going to start doing daily pop quizes to keep the students coming on time and to make sure they are doing their homework.

I have utilized something very similar. It works well. I like how you have them write a paragraph on what they think is important. I shall start utilizing that as well. Thank you!

I think the pre-test on Day 1 is a good idea to help determine the students' needs and where they want the course to take them.

Being new to teaching I read your post and decided I like what you do, especially the students comments. I think I will try that in my classes. Thanks

Sign In to comment