Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is the best way to engage students

Im looking for ideas to engage my students, hence why I took this course to add to my lesson plans any ideas?

Melissa,

There are several instructional methods that can be used to engage your students. I find that effective, classroom discussion can serve as a great tool to engage students, and as an indirect assessment method. To ensure that the discussion is based on the current class topic, I would suggest using periodic, "Socratic questions", that enable the students to apply class material, along with their opinion.

Tremayne Simpson

i agree and i used the same method in my class.
i found that it works well for me

i am in agreement with the following post. I incorporate role play where I would have one of the students be the facilitator of the class for that subject. They get to see what it's like to be in front of their peers. They seem to enjoy it!

Always engaging students is good for all. They bounce things off of each other. Allowing them that lots of times they learn from each other, which is more important at times them just us telling them

When I go over anatomy and some of the harder courses subjects, I will play jeopardy. It is really easy to make but then you can break the class into 2 teams and get everyone's envolvement and it is fun learning.

Games make the topic more interesting, but I have found that my older students feel it is a waste of time and the younger ones are more into it.

Norma,

This is an excellent point. However, it is a good idea to find games that are highly competitive and challenging for all students. Also, i find that avoiding the terminology of "game" (sometimes, I just call it a review activity), helps in making the activity more serious for the students.

Tremayne Simpson

Norma,

This is an excellent point. However, it is a good idea to find games that are highly competitive and challenging for all students. Also, i find that avoiding the terminology of "game" (sometimes, I just call it a review activity), helps in making the activity more serious for the students.

Tremayne Simpson

Sign In to comment