Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Management

I think that if an outline or objectives aren't in place before the start of a class, I wouldn't teach it. You have to have a syllibus as well as your direct supervisor in case something happens and someone else needs to teach it for you.

Yes, you need a course outline, sometime these syllibus are outdated, new techniques, recipes and lectures are behind the times.

Casey,

I agree. The syllabus/outline serves as a "contract" between student/instructor, that clearly lists the expectations, parameters for grading and course lesson plan.

Tremayne Simpson

Yes, the syllabus is the contract, but for this reason I never include the detailed procedure in the syllabus. To remain flexible and allow for improvements, I offer the course objectives and basic outline, but the actual day to day procedure needs to be more organic, and allow for discussions and teachable moments.

I agree Gina. Flexibility to the needs of the current group of students necessitate leaving some wriggle room in the syllabus.

I believe that a standardized syllabus for courses throughout a given collection of career schools is a vital thing because I believe that if everyone is involved with the information then as instructors we can be better prepared collectively to share best practices and information.

Cheyney,

I agree. Standardized syllabi can assist in ensuring that all students will receive a simular educational experience, no matter which section of the course that they are enrolled in.

Tremayne Simpson

Sign In to comment