Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Organize

Im a first year and trying to get a better grip on organizing myself any ideas?

Melissa,

Are you referring to organization with: course preparation, instruction or completing administrative tasks (attending meetings, submitting paperwork, etc.)?

Tremayne Simpson

Melissa,
I am an instructor in a culinary school, so organization is key to keeping the class on target, especially when we are discussing new concepts, or are expanding on previous competencies. If you can assess your own comfort level with the material and lessons, you may have a better opportunity to "personalize" the lessons, rather than just following along a pre-generated lesson plan. Prepare yourself in small blocks, meaning take a look at each individual lesson and develop a strategy that works with your own individual style & move forward with that. It's impossible to be 100 % completely prepared, but if you have the general information and some more in depth knowledge ahead of time, you will find that your students will ask questions that you can answer more comfortably.

I found it helpful at the start of my teaching career to sit in on other classes and talk to other instructors.
I also make notes on my lesson plan for the day what worked and what did not, and what needed more attention.

giles,

I agree. Peer review can provide instructors with alternative instructional methods as well as ideas for increasing student motivation. A "buddy system" should be created, so that instructors can observe each other and share their feedback and ideas.

Tremayne Simpson

I agree, sitting in on a class is a great thing to do if time permits.

Sign In to comment