Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharing with the students..

I always share my story with my students. It allows them to see that I am human just as they are human. I am going through many of the same situations as my students, so I not only hear their stories, but I fully understand their stories.

Taneshia,

I agree, it is important that students see the "human" side of their instructor. Seeing that an instructor is "just a normal person", can assist in removing any negative, perceptive barriers that may exist. Whenever possible, I try to add an example about myself (during the lesson), involving common occurances like: going to the grocery store or even doing household chores.

Tremayne Simpson

Tremayne,
I use myself in alot of examples I give. Most of my students find we have gone through some of the same things and feel they can relate to me.

Ms. Prather

Kanidrus ,

I take a similar approach with my students as well. In my experience, students have taken more of an intrinsic value with the course, once they feel that they can relate to the instructor.

Tremayne Simpson

I agree. I always love to tell the students in my Lab class about how nervous I used to get when I started and some of the obstacles I had in learning specific techniques. It really puts them at ease to know that their Instructor has felt the way they do.

I agree students are always releaved to know that instructors experience anxiety too.

Tifany,

I agree. Fear and anxiety are human characteristics and it allows the students to see that their instructors are not "robotic", if they reveal these emotions in class.

Tremayne Simpson

I always love to tell the students in my class and lab about my first day at work how nervous I used to get when I started.They feel that they can relate to the instructor.

Teaching was not my chosen career path…come to think of it my professional career was not my original choice. I ‘fell’ into fashion design because after completing your first year of general art studies you had to declare a major in your sophomore year…I was 18 and it was 1969, I just knew I could draw and wanted to move to LA and work for the Walt Disney Studios. Can’t believe how naïve I was at the time and when the sophomore year arrived I went down the list of majors that SAIC offered…and settled on Fashion Design. Well, I could draw and loved fashion (just lived through the British invasion and Carnaby Street)…so this sounded like fun. To this day, I cannot believe my parents went along with this choice. Yes, my father’s family was in the ‘rag’ trade, but we had no designers in the family…and I didn’t know the first thing about sewing! My nickname was “Jack-the-Ripper”, because every design I created had to be ripped out and remade until I could make it perfect. To tell the truth – I would never have survived as a member of Project Runway.

I share this story with every class I have taught over the past 30 years and share all of my professional experiences with them – good-and-bad, to show them there is hope and perseverance will pay off. Designing, pattern making, construction…they are all adventures. Knowledge is power – and knowledge takes time and experimentation in our field. Let’s face it, we all have to start at the beginning, even Dorothy started with one yellow brick.

Students love to hear about my failures and successes - to hear about the possibilities and how small opportunities can grow into marvelous achievements.

I always relate to my students on Day 1 by telling them how I performed when I was in school. I tell them how "green" I was or how I was always the last one to finish. I next explain that I got better through repeating the tasks several times and learning each time.

In the health care environment, things do not always go as planned.Students are fearful of making mistakes. During my lectures,I give examples of things I could have done better.It shows them I am human,and at the same time,hopefully, they will not make the same mistake.

Sign In to comment