Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jeopardy

I play a game of Textile jeopardy with my class just before mid-term and the again before finals. All the students get really into it and every single time I have had great success with that.

It helps student remember all the stuff we have done previously. They also like it that I devote an entire class period for preperation for the test. After jeopardy I give them trial swatches to practice and guide them through how to write the the answers. It is surprising that the students nay know the answer but need to be guided as to how to go about writing the answer in a meaning full and concise way and at the same time learn to finish the test on time.

Asha ,
This sounds like a great engagement activity that's both fun and educational. Students learn and retain information when more sense are used, and they are compelled to think (as in Jeopardy).

Barry Westling

I use Jeopardy as well as a way to review information from the course. It works well because it gets the students engaged, and we review a ton of information without them necessarily realizing it, they are just having fun with it.

Scott,
Can learning occur by playing games and having fun?? Absolutely! In fact, games often stimulate a different part of the brain that results in enhanced memory and recall. Let's have fun whenever we can!

Barry Westling

Hi, Asha.
My class prepares for examinations by playing "Jeopardy." I break the class into two teams and have one person from each team seated at a table in front of the class. The teams are very competitive. I have found it to be very successful because the students enjoy it, as well as learn from it!

Newbie here...I never thought of playing jeopardy as a teaching tool. Fantastic. I will use it next term.

Richard,
Glad you're finding so many useful tools and instructional strategies.

Barry Westling

I also play Jeopardy towards the end of the course as part of the final exam review. We play Family Feud with "brain-teasers" as an exercise if we have completed a lesson a little earlier than expected.

Patricia,
Games can be fun and instructional at the same time. Too much would be overdoing it, but an occasional activity like a game, where course material is assessed is a great idea.

Barry Westling

I have used jeopardy games for years for final test prep it works very well we even combine to classes against each other.

John,
Yeah, me too. It's always a fun activity, even with the "friendly competition" among classmates. Nobody ever said that learning can't be fun!

Barry Westling

I have used different games from target practice to jeopardy with good results with test scores going up students work harder to win the game and don't realize there studying as well.

Paul,
Learning can be fun -- and should be, whether it be from game-oriented activities, to lively, engaging discussion or activity-based learning.

Barry Westling

One other thing that I have noticed when you use games for study or review is that students that are usually quiet and to themselves tend to get involved.

Craig,
Great observation. And it's true, normally quiet students are more apt to participate when team competition exercises are conducted. The thing about games is they can provide a great way to memorialize important learning points.

Barry Westling

i have used this methode of teaching. i prefer to use multiple choice answers for the game and it seems to work pretty well.the teams of students really get into the competion of the game.they also enjoy the fact that there is an end result of acheivement in winning a game.

Dennis,
Learning can be fun! This is a perfect example.

Barry Westling

Educational games like jeopardy used as a review before a test helps rehash the same material they have been hearing over and over in a different manner. Giving out points rewards them for learning, unlike a basic lecture could ever do.

Sign In to comment