Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modularized Assignments

I modularize my in-class assignments based on subjects covered. If a class runs long and we aren't able to cover a subject, I can push it to next week and simply push that module from the current assignment to the one coming up next week. This works really well because it means that I can adjust the length of my modules across sessions.

In other words, if I don't want to shorten this week's lesson, I don't have to, because I can make changes to next week's lesson. This is also easier because I can give some thought to next week's lesson outside of the classroom, which means the adjustment will be better (or at least better-planned).

Pat,
This sort of fits with the idea of chunking, which is breaking lessons into digestible bits. Students receive a little bit of a lesson, then a change up using a different media or activity for a bit, then another change up, continuing and repeating this process. Students find they learn, are not bored, stay engaged, and the class period seems to go fast, but much content has been covered (perhaps with more retention than with just a single delivery medium).

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment