Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

old cirriculums

i save old study guides to see if anything used before is now usable again

Hi Norm:

I think saving old study guides is a good use of resoureces as long as the information pertains to the current material being taught.

Over time, these old study guides might be helpful to demonstrate the type of test to be given, but not the content.

Regards, Barry

I do the same thing! I save all assignments in my computer files. All assignments that I haven't used in 3 years I put in the 'old assign-ments' folder categorized by subject. Every once in awhile I'll revitalize an old 'tried and true' assignment, such as 'designing room divid-ers' or 'painting 4 black and white abstract designs using 4 chosen design principles.' After I bring out the old assignments I do change them a bit to keep current, not wanting to 'put new wine into old bottles' as the saying goes. This keeps things 'fresh' for me and for the students.

Old study guides with updated examples is a great way to 'go,' because 1) you're not re-inventing the wheel and 2) you're keeping current besides. For instance, you're showing examples of contemporary art and design completed within the last year or are about to be started, such as the spiral skyscraper in Chicago, in order to substantiate the definition sheet for the test study guide prepared 3 years ago.

Hi Anne:
I think you're smart to save older curriculum. Sometimes, some "pearl" of information lies waiting to be revived from it's dusty, filed-away home.

Of course, technolgy has made saving information on the computer an easier task. Obviously, not everything can be easily saved on computer, but with effort, a reasonable facsimile of just about anything can be saved electroniclly.

Regards, Barry

Hi Anne:
It's true, like the Energizer Rabbit, good curriculum just keeps going and going and going...!

Good discussion points!

Regards, Barry

i SAVE OLD LESSON PLANS, TOO. Not for their content, because technologies change and students need to get the most currebnt info in the field. But I keep them to see how I used tio structure a class day, how I would balance lecture with hands-on, and how much material should be in a clump before the students benefit from a cumulative test on that clump. These old plans are like a journal of how I teach, and when I read through them, I can see which directions I have taken over the past few years. I can then assess my own development as an instructor or am I just doing the same things over and over and over. That's the nice thing about teaching bread baking. We get our motor skills down, and then it frees our brains to do other stuff. So there is plenty of opportunity to develop instructional ideas while watching students learn and apply their skills. I wonder why everyone doesn't teach bread.
Mike Kalanty
Artisan Baker
California Culinary Academy

I will give students material from previous curriculums if it still applies to today's content. It plays the role of the more things seem to change, the more they are the same.

Hi Brian:
There are many resources that good teachers can use toget their lesson taught in an effective manner. I say use what works - if it's effective, why not?

Regards, Barry

Using old illustrations form study guides can come in handy for new classes. Sometimes in the electrical books the NEC (National Electric Code) has changed so you must be careful!

Sign In to comment