Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

back up

I see who will be in my class amd go from that.

Hi Stu:

Your system probably works okay for you in most instances. The concept of back-up plans is when what you've got planned goes awry - out of your control. In these instances, a good back-up plan can help provide something meaningful for the students, not just busy work, but something you can pull out of the hat that'll "get er' done" in spite of the circumstances.

We don'y want to waste yhe students time. And usually, dismissal is the last choice. So, giving some thought to those few rare times when "the plan" goes south, you'll be ready to shine as if it was part of the plan!

Regards, Barry

don't think of these back up plans for when you screw up. They are not just a save my but plan. I like the back up plans when My class is different than others. Alot of my plans are actually advanced plans for classes that need more challanges. Sometimes "I" just need a change in the class. Let's face it the same old lectures bore the instructor sometimes. Deja Vu

Greetings John,
It is perfect that you have a plan b. Nowadays the was the classroom situation is you need a plan c.
Good Luck

Having a back up plan is always important. There a lot of things that can take place during a class that can impact the students ability to learn and progress. Some of these things include weather delays/class cancelations, power outages, technical difficulties, and more. When these things occur, having a back up plan is crucial for creating a successful outcome. One of the things that we've done to help prepare for this is something we call "save the bulb day." During this day, we do not allow our instructors to use the projector to teach there class. This is difficult for some but it teach's them how to think "outside the box" when similar situations occur. We should always be ready for the unexpected.

Hi Jesus:
In diaster planning scenarios conducted by hospitals or even communities, they will purposely simulate barriers to the usual way to do things, and it forces individuals to think about other options, kind of like your save the bulb day plan. However its designed, a good back up plan is extremely valuable.

Regards, Barry

A teacher must always be prepared and have a module planned out to the day, so that if students need more time to study a certain topic, the teacher could possibly rearrange the course's pacing to accommodate more practice time on tough concepts.

Hi John:
Absolutely - planning ahead provides shifting topics, spending more or less time, and all the while, allowing the instructor ample time to cover all necessary points. Also having alternate assignments that can be initiated if the need calls for it ought to be planned and available.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment