Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

back up or additional material?

Most delivery back up plans end up being additional material for the class to use. Ive noticed that most of the time that back up ends up being used to fill up time but also used as standard matirial for the course. Since this is the case should I ceate another back up?

We always want to be prepared. Our students are our customers, and I'm sure we all want to provide the best customer service possible.

Having a back up plan to address unplanned interuptions, technology failure, extra time or uninvolved students can be very effective when called into action. There may be a disconnect in time planning if your back-up plan is consistently being used. You may want to reassess the topics and time allocated to present your lessons.

It would be helpful to have exercises or activities that can be put into place if needed. These don't have to be unnecessarily long - just effective.

For instance, review is always useful. You can do it, or better, have the students summarize a portion of a topic and the rest of the class can comment. Then you can fill in missing information. In this manner, it's not new information, rather needed information that is the focus. Students will feel as if they have contributed positively to the class, and you will get an idea of how thoroughly they have mastered the material.

I think that having a back up lan is important but when one gets used to fill a course, maybe that course needs to be looked at for missing information. Now once it is complete a new back-up plan can be implemented for that completed course.

Hi Manuel:

This is good. Back up plans are also very helpful when what you've got planned doesn't work out for whatever resason. Thats where you go to "plan-B".

Regards, Barry

a back up plan is alway's needed
for broken equipment,weather

Manny

I agree with you on that, what do you do when the course is complete and there is no more add ons

Hi Victor:

Compiling a good back-up plan really takes some planning. It should first include a review of what are the student learning outcomes. Next should come a comprehensive review of what resources are available to achieve these objectives. Once you know what you want your students to learn and what resources you have access to, then you can begin to construct activities that will be meaningful alternatives to your planned activities.

Obviously, this kind of approach will take time, effort, and careful thought. However, the rewards for work will pay off when you call your back-up plan into action.

Regards, Barry

Hi Nolan:

I am always amazed at the creativeness of students. When we are thinking about subject matter for a given topic, the students can sometimes be tapped as an effective resource.

Actually, the more the student is involved in participating in the instructional process, the better the overall learning experience will be, both for the individual student and the class. This is where we begin to utilize critical thinking in the instructional process. These jewels of thought can turn into quite effective teaching resources.

Regards, Barry

Back up material should only be used in my opinion to provide more informal examples to the material than what was provided in the power point or lecture. I would use additional material if class finishes the main topic and understand then I would include small projects or assignments related to the chapter.

Hi Vonia:

I understand your perspective. However, I have to admit that there are times when circumstances beyond my control occur that just plain wreck havoc with the daily lesson. So, it's really a help to me as much as it is to the students to have something (relevant) that I can pull out in a time of need.

Other times when students finish up earlier than planned, or when students are at different levels, it can be helpful to have something meaningful for the more advanced students to engage in in order to keep them busy.

Regards, Barry

Might be a good idea to creat a matrix for this idea

Hi George:
Sure! This will provide alternatives and perhaps assure students don't miss essential information.

Regards, Barry

A back up plan can be as easy as using the current course of study to relate to a specific situation a student has. Another back up plan can be a question and answer session where each student is encouraged to participate.

Hi Steve:
These are good examples. I think the main thing is to have something that can pulled off the shelf and used with little preparation or reliance on technology of any kind.

Regards, Barry

Hi Steve:
These are good examples. I think the main thing is to have something that can pulled off the shelf and used with little preparation or reliance on technology of any kind.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment