Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Power Points

While preparing power points the students learning behavior should be kept in mind and one slide should not have more than 4-5 points and it should have graphics too.

Irum,
My best slides have just a couple of bullet points that allow me to elaborate, discuss, demonstrate, and explain things using the white board, photo's, illustrations, handouts, and related supplemental materials.

Barry Westling

I agree about the graphics. Typically most students learn visually and too many points can be confusing and overwhelming.

Kristen,
I think some instructors insert icons, images, and graphics just because they think they're cute or make the PPT more interesting. In fact, these are distractions and take away from the message. Of course, PPT is a great way to display a chart, graph, schematic, photo, figure, or a table.

Barry Westling

ok 10 20 30 rule so after the 20 min slide Presidion do you review what you went over get them to walk around or talk them a joke

Micheal,
I think review is always appropriate regardless of what the activity is or format being used. Humor can contribute to making the class more interesting, but planning it seems like a bit too much (unless it is part of an introduction). The best humor is that which occurs naturally, based on the current discussion -- such as a story or past situation that is related to the subject.

Barry Westling

I agree, Despite the learners learning style and your teaching methods a connection needs to be made and almost need animate yourself to help foster inclusion and student participation. This will really help if you really know your audience and if allowed insert creativity in the slides...

I agree.. I like power points because the student is able to have the print out right infront of them- I usually put the notes section on them, so they students can add additional information to them. I find it helps them pay attention in class, instead of reading, then writting, scribbling the notes from the board and not paying attention- because they have to get every word written down- instead of listen to every word I am talking about...

Santiago,
Some of the most bland teaching sessions had absolutely wonderful PPT slides. It is really unfortunate when someone spends so much time on slide preparation but the presentation lacks engagement, participation, and focused outcomes.

Barry Westling

Lisa,
PPT is a great tool -- but is only a tool, and caution needs to prevent the PPT slides becoming the focus of attention, rather than the information to be conveyed.

Barry Westling

I agree that power point presentation lacks engagement.From my experience as a student , the instructor ends up reading what's on the power point.My opinion, it makes it boring and non conducive to learning. You might as well give me a copy of the power point and I'll read it at home. I take it as an insult like I don't know how to read.

I use power points almost every day. I love that I can select important points from the class text books and put them on the screen and discuss them with my class. My concern though, is that it will make the students less motivated to "read" the material in the text books. I tend to assign reading as homework and in-class reviews to ensure they are doing it.

Marilou,
I agree. Better PPT slides contain few words, really only enough to conduct effective discussions. I "go to black" often, so I can engage in discussion, then return to the slide for the next discussion point. PPT is probably best for photo's, tables, charts, graphs, and related types of images.

Barry Westling

Mike,
I think PPT slides are merely a tool to assist me (as the SME), just as the textbook, worksheets, and related media serve that purpose. I'm careful that the slides are not the focus of attention but the information they contain. In this setting, reading assignments from the text are essential.

Barry Westling

Keeping the topic simple and direct tells more sometimes.

Hans,
Boy, I believe this and try to practice it whenever possible. One analogy I've heard is like a 911 call. You tell them what is the most important up front, then provide follow-up information, clarify, and assess for understanding. For PPT slides, I like to use the reveal function, where beginning with just a title or heading, each bullet point is revealed, point by point, with each click, a new bullet point appears on the same slide. This allows for plenty of amplification and discussion, and allows me to elaborate on what I consider most important.

Barry Westling

I also use PP’s almost every day. I assign reading homework over the materials prior to showing the PP. I only have abbreviated notes on the PP to remind me of what I am talking about and that I don’t forget a point or two. Mostly I am discussing the material using the PP as a guide only. Students take notes over what we a covering that day for discussions during the class and for review. I use the textbooks and other supplementary materials as background information for the class.

David,
This sounds like a good way to use PPT slides -- a preface to the lecture/discussion.

Barry Westling

normally I read the slides first then elaborate on each slide to finish and answer questions,it gives the student time to reflect.

Paul,
For me, information on a slide is like an introduction to a discussion point, sort of like me saying "let me tell you about..." Students can read, but they don't have the background, experience and knowledge that I have.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment