Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Power Point Presantations

Thanks for giving me the rule 10/20/30, I know there was a rule but did not knoew what it was.
Very helpful.

Carol,
There are a lot of tips and delivery methods using PPT that make for more effective instruction. I always try to view slides I make from the standpoint of how the student is likely to receive the information .....and usually less is more!

Barry Westling

Hi Carol,

I was not familiar with the 10/20/30 rule.

I have found it more useful to follow the 6/6/6 rule (even though there are folks out there that see these numbers in a vastly different context).

That would be:
6 words per line
6 lines per slide
6 slides followed by an illustration or a graphic

This approach works much better for me and seems to resonate with my culinary students.

Russ Mauch

Thank you for the tip Russ. I have never heard of the 6/6/6 rule.

Aretha

Never knew about this rule! very helpful!

Kayla,
I often emphasize that PPT is just a tool and caution should be taken to avoid over use. Yes, there are guidelines that are great, and are useful to follow when using PPT. We just want to make sure it is the best method to deliver our message or facilitate student learning.

Barry Westling

I like this rule and and 10/20/30...I will definitely apply these to my PPT presentations to try and engage the students more.

Jennifer,
When we think about how well our students are likely to receive the information we provide, we might reconsider how time is spent on PPT slides, and do more variety of engagement activities that accomplish the same goal, but make for interesting and enjoyable classes.

Barry Westling

I will try to apply the PowerPoint Presentations for my class.

I don't apply or stay with a strict numbers rule, but I have found that using less words and lines per slide, is more effective. I do know that inserting frequent graphics and or illustrations, tends to re-focuss students to the lecture at hand.

Mignonne,
My rule about PPT is to only use it when it is absolutely the best way to convey information. When used, I agree that less is more, and PPT is particularly useful for graphics -- but still I don't add images or anything that's not useful.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment