Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Smart Boards

What about using smart boards in the classroom. I did not see any topics on using these in the classroom.

Tom

We use Smart Boards at our school. We just acquired them recently and they have proven very effective. They can be used to project powerpoint slides, act as a white board, interface with software applications, and more. You can highlight, circle, mark up documents as you choose. The only tip I would offer is to make sure all teachers/instructors are comfortable with them. Get the school to offer an In-Service training session for all teachers/instructors.

A hybrid of smart boards and powerpoint can be used with an instructor adapting the slides as discussed creating end result slides "on the fly".

Smartboards are amazing! Even in the elementary schools, kids realize how much they can do and access with the smartboards in their classrooms. Teachers can connect to the internet, etc., complete drawings, charts, graphs, etc. They are like interactive powerpoints- ongoing!

We use the SmartBoards at our school and they are absolutely fantastic! Very interactive, very easy to use, very flexible. I highly recommend using them if you have room in your budget.

Hi Mark:
Smart boards offer a dymanic affect and interactive learning strategy for those that have access to them. Anthing that helps students learn is a good thing.

Regards, Barry

Smart boards are used in most military teaching environments, I'm sure the cost is a concern to most classrooms...however, they are amazing!

Hi Jeanie:
Cost is a factor. For tech savvy teachers and the mellinials, gen X and gen y students, this information delivery technology is very easy to relate to. I'm not saying older, setablished methods are bad, but as you point out, a well planned lesson that allows students to interact with smart boards really keeps interest and assists with retention of needed information.

Regards, Barry

Hi Crystal:
I too have found these beneficial, especially by having the student come up and utilize it in some way during the learning session.

In my experience, they're not very expensive, approximately $1500 for one. They are about the size of a 45-50 inch flat screen tv.

Regards, Barry

Hi Kristina:
These tools are definitely powerful in engaging the student. Unfortunately, while not overly expensive, budget constraints my prevent the use of them in many institutions.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment