Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Power point & Charts

I find that power point keep the student ingaged in the lectures. I also use this to keep myself on track & not go to far off trach, I also see tat the student take better notes, so they dont have to read my chicken scrach on the board. Chart work will with the pp presentation also. I found out it helps out a lot in my classes.

Hi Robert:
I think there are better and lesser uses for PPT. It's ideal for many subjects, and in some, say, when artwork, graphics, photos, or diagrams of intricate components need to be viewed, there's nothing better than a full screen-full of colorful information.

I think combining PPT with white board, flipchart, and other media such as discussion, Q&A, skills training, labs, or even lecturing blend very nicely with PPT when done in smaller doses along with the PPT.

Regards, Barry

I feel the same way. I found that students learn more from PP than if they were just to read the material in their text book. Something about having the same words that arein the book up on the screen in big letters helps out students, plus with PP you end up discussing the matter, which helps students ask questions or make comments that they would not have done if they just read the material in the book.

Hi Alicia:
I believe the discussion that occurs with most PPT's is the most valuable part of any presentation.

Regards, Barry

I must agree, Power Point with discussion is key to the learning environment. Does anyone add video to their Power Points?

Hi Denise:
I have added video and been a participant-observer when video insertion was presented. It's kind of risky - it takes care to give just so much to make the point but to avoid overkill as well.

We need to remember that PPT (and video insertions) are mere tools, and should not be the focus or emphasis. They just help convey the message to be delivered. But discussion along with PPT, and other media for a bouquet of delivery media will provide rich information retention!

Regards, Barry

Power point is great! I use it everyday. It is set up to follow the students textbooks. i also print out copies for them where thay can take notes along side each slide.

Hi Kimberely:
If your classes are relative short (1 hour), PPT for the whole class is probably OK. If a students has to sit through 3-4 hours at a stretch and it's all PPT, eventually the teacher is going to lose some of the students. As good a tool as PPT is, I think it should presented in bursts coupled with other media, such as discussion, question and answer, overhead, demonstration, group study, and some skill practice. When it's a blended environment I think students retain more. I do understand that some topics take longer than others, so there will always be exceptions.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment