Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

knowing your powerpoints

it is very important that you know the material. If you just read the powerpoint and not add to or further explain the slide your students will not be impressed.

Hi Robert:
You're right, it's a pretty boring presentation when slides are merely read. PPT is a tool and should not be the focus of the lesson but an adjunct to improve understanding or enhance information.

Regards, Barry

I agree completely. If you can't add to the material in the power point the students can just read the PPT and get the info.

I agree with your statement. Anyone can go into a classroom and read power point slides but it takes extra effort and preparation to instruct and genuinely help the students learn. As stated in the text, you must try to use at least two of a persons senses of learning in order to truly teach that person the subject matter. If all a person does is read a slide, they are barely meeting the "listening" needs of the students. From my experiences, adding information and stories outside of the power point presentation help students visualize the information which will help with retaining the information.

Hi Jesus:
Stories do add quite a lot to illustrate points or provide similar examples in a manner that's interesting and usually in a way the students can relate to.

Regards, Barry

I agree, knowing your powerpoint is key. If you only read the powerpoint the students may not get all the information they need. I think it is also important to know how deeply you need to cover a slide or topic for the students to understand the concept being presented. I have some slides that I spend a long time explaining and some that I cover quickly and move on.

Hi Mark:
To do really good PPT presentations takes a lot of planning and "putting yourself in the seat of the student". As you say, there are different ways to present. We want to make sure the material is accurate, interesting, pertinent, and useful.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment