Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

current events

here at MMI we have several choice's of media to find current info to use in class

Hi Norm:

Variety in choosing what media and resources for your classes is important. Perhaps the biggest challenge is to be able to choose the best resources for a given topic. Best implies those items that result in the student learning and applying that learning in some meaninful manner.

Regards, Barry

I caution my students, when using various media, to be wise and look for common themes, especially when looking at or for technical information. So many of them believe everything they see in magazines or the internet, yet there is a large amount of erroneous data.

Hi Steve:
Good advice. I belive the instructor can one of the best technical experts (experience and knowledge); then the textbook resources; then other experts in the field. That's where students are likely to run into a mixed bag of useful and accurate information - along with a lot of junk. As you say, they have to careful with internet based material.

Regards, Barry

I have discovered that there are a great number of informational videos on You Tube that I have found helpful in the classroom. Obviously, you have to be careful and review them for appropriateness and accuracy beforehand but we have seen videos of technical production etc. For example, videos on printing processes and information on the Pantone color system.

Hi Sheila:
The selection of media covers an array of choices as you've aptley described. I think a real key is to think through what is needed to be taught, how best to teach it (given the resources we have available), and then to evaluate or assess the effectiveness and make modifications as needed.

Regards, Barry

Variety is very important, too. I use PPT's for most presentations, but I have also begun to share my desktop with students so we can surf the web together. This is a great way to see what's new on sites like Medicare or state Health Depts. It also teaches them new search methods and discrimination in choosing references. All very important to new students.

Hi Susan:
The technological classroom has certainly opened up teaching avenues previously unavailable to the average teacher. If we're wanting to promote critical thinking, using your desktop with an LCD projector can access virtually any site that may be instrumental in getting students to think, and discuss, and engage in meaningful classroom participation.

Regards, Barry

I look forward to the day when I can use my PPT knowledge to prepare lessons - not all the classrooms in my school are ready for presentations - no computers or projectors.

Hi John:
While I agree PPT can be a great presentation tool, I can tell you in schools that have all the LCD's, computers, and realted resources in all the classrooms doesn't make for a panacea for learning.

PPT is on of many tools a teacher can use to facilitate learning. But effective learning is not dependent on PPT, and that are many alternate delivery and presentation formats that will work just as well (my bias).

Regards, Barry

I agree with your comment about the instructor being able to provide technical expertise based on their experience and knowledge. Many of the textbooks are written by academic subject matter experts who don't have any practical knowledge concerning the information. This is not to say that they are to be discredited, but that living the moment is far better than researching the moment and talking about it.

Hi Riley:
Let's face it, we were hired to teach because we possess valuable experience that most textbooks cannot provide. It's an interesting balance. The textbook is able to provide the technical or theory that provides an accurate source of fundamental information - well more in depth and breath than most instructors posess. But the teacher has the real world experience, the applications, the situational experiences that go far beyond what most textbooks can provide.

Bot are valuable and are needed, serving different purposes.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment