Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Know the subject

I use all sorts of media to help the students learn.

Hi Stu:

Sounds like you use a lot of resources to assist your students in their learning. That's great. The more resources, really, the more senses you can involve the student in the more likely their retention of the material will be.

I always have to ask myself the question: "Well, I'm dishing it out this way and that way". But I need to remain focused on what it is I'm accomplishing. So, my variety of media resources will do little good unless it's helping the students, right?

Regards, Barry

i use active demos where i narrate as the student carries out the task.

I think the best way to find out which media works the best for an especific class is trying them all and see how the students respond.

Hi Fiorella:

This is a good idea. I can also rationalize that some students may not respond favorably to a particular kind of method, media or techniques. Yet, it may be that with continued exposure, the student adapts, and that becomes their favorite (and therefore beneficial) instructional strategy.

Regards, Barry

Using all types of media to help students learn is something I am a firm believer in. As a design instructor, I use traditional slide presentations, PowerPoint, examples from former students, books available on the subject, and frequently the bulletin board. It creates variety in the teaching/learning process and helps maintain students' interest.

Hi Anne:

Yes! All media stimulate learning in some creative part of every student. Of course, certain topics are going to lend themselves to certain media, but the creative instructor will find that "multi-media" stimulation will enhance instruction.

I think a little of any one type of media is good. Too much of a given resource can actually distract from the lesson message. For instance, spending several hours of PPT presentations in a darkened room is probably not conducive to optimal learning. Perhaps, hands on labs might be an exception, since skill performance oftentime requires repititious practice.

Regards, Barry

I also use a variety of medias while teaching. Starting with powerpoint to get the info out there then I usally do demos and have a discussion afterwards to see if anyone needs more.It is then that the students are allowed hands on.

Hi Michael:

You've mapped out a good plan. First the facts, then the practical.

It's been said that anytime you can get student involved they'll be more likely to remember. The importnat part is getting the foundation for practice established. Then, the practical will be more meaningful.

Regards, Barry

Being an instructor you must know your subject very well. There will be situations and questions that will be brought up that you may not have heard before.

i as well us many sorts of media P.P Viedos and demos, what ever it takes to help them understand

we do the same thing here at the le cordon bleu

WE ALSO DO A GREAT DEAL OF HANDS ON AT OUR BEAUTY ACADEMY I FIND IT TO BE A GREAT WAY TO HAVE THE STUDENTS INTERACT WITH THE CLIENTS AND EACH OTHER

Hi Wilma:
Yes, hands-on training and experience provides an opportunity for the student to begin to apply the theoretical and technical aspect of their vocation. And it gives most students a glimpse at what their being trained for. Most really enjoy anything offered as hands-on.

Regards, Barry

The failure or success of all delivery methods is dependant on how well we deliver the content; confidence is critical in ensuring a successful delivery and it all comes back to preparation. An “expert” trying to become familiar with the PowerPoint slide as it is being delivered is a failure.

Hi William:
Boy, that is so true. Even the weaker academic students can detect when an instructor is not prepared, suggesting (albeit not necessarily true) the instructor is not completely proficient with the topic. Your example is a good one, among many other examples.

Regards, Barry

Barry you are right I counsel students on the best way to conduct an intertview then I actualy give them a mock interview where we role play and I ask them real life questions they might get from a chef on a Job interview.

Hi Ricardo:
Great! Practice does improve performance!

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment