Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What to bring to the class

As an adult vocational school we don't do many field trips or have many guests speakers. Our subject is dental related. What can I do besides sharing my own office expieriences to keep students excited and interested?

Monica,
Something I've done is ask a recent graduate who is working to come speak. What they lack in experience is usally readily made up with an enthusiastic, upbeat and knowledgeable grad who knows what it takes to get through the program. Salespersons are also good resources to ask to speak as a guest speaker. Often they can do a demo of their wares too.

Barry Westling

Medical Assisting also poses similar challenges when it comes to field trips. We have had advisory board memebers come to talk with the classroom. We have had some new students "shadow" a medical assistant working at sites that our advisory board members are supervisors at. This has provided a great experience for our new students.

Rebecca,
This is nice as students see "potential employers" expressing their views. This also helps reinforce the credibility of what's being taught by the instructor.

Barry Westling

Have you tried bringing them to dental conventions in your area?

Joy,
This is good advice to those seeking alternative field trips or networking for possible guest speakers. If dental conventions are as ubiquitous as medical conventions, there's bound to be some direct or indirectly related events periodically in most major metropolitan areas, and some other urban and even rual areas. Salespersons are also keenly aware of when and where these events are occurring.

Barry Westling

Naila,
Suppoirtive handouts, PPT slides, instructional media (video clips, interactive simulations), along with creative instructional methods such as discussion, pair-share, things like these, can be very helpful towards improving student retention and application of course material.

Barry Westling

Guest Speakers are an excellent attribute to the classroom. They bring their experience and knowledge from the field.

Christine,
Most times this is true. The few time I had a poor guest speaker I simply did not ask them back. Breaking the routine with guest speakers gives students a fresh perspective, perhaps a bit different from their regular instructor.

Barry Westling

I do this in two forums.
1) Presentation from the speaker
2) Interviewing them immediately after-- I have some prepared questions and then spontaneously roll with it.

Stephen,
Sounds like a good activity and something that works for you.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment