Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Guest Speaker via Skype

I've invited a lot of guest speakers over the years, but I tried something different recently, inviting a guest speaker who was quite a long ways away to talk to my class via Skype. It worked out really well. I don't think it had as much impact as if he had actually been present, but the fact that the speaker was responsive to student questions and had an interesting presentation overcame that lack of physical presence. In the end the students gave it a big thumbs up.

One suggestion I have for doing this (or any other guest speaker) is to have some follow-up on a subsequent week. You can be pretty sure that the speaker will still be thinking about the visit for some time after (in general they love talking to college students and get quite a buzz from the experience), so I have the students make up a series of questions and I email them to the speaker a few days after the event. If the speaker replies (they always do), read/email his responses to the class. They'll appreciate the additional effort.

Pat,
Very interesting, and the technological capability to do this sort of creative activity makes it not such a unreasonable event for students. I'm glasd you added what experience you had after the fact as others who read this and may want to try it will benefit from your example.

Barry Westling

I think this is an excellent idea! While an in-person speaker would always be my first choice this is a great way to secure a speaker that would otherwise not be able to make it to the physical campus. It actually prepares students for technology they may be using in their field...teleconferencing, etc is not uncommon. In fact, in my graduate program we had to do web cam conferences with our group and instructor for the online classes. While taking some time to adjust, it actually worked well.

My sister has taught a high school science class via skype for a couple of years now. She teaches to students located in a rural area as they do not have adequate facilities for her course so they do not employ an on ground instructor. I think that skype is becoming a more significant resource as it allows you access to people with a knowledge base that perhaps no other individual in your vicinity has.

Jason,
This sounds like a great example of use of technology in the classroom. As instructors we are often asked to use any and all resources to meet our objectives. I think this is a great idea, and if it works for her and her students are learning, then Voila!

Barry Westling

This is a fantastic idea, and something I will keep in mind in the future!

What a great idea this is something I will definably do in the future.

ROBERT,
Here's another spin. We have two scientific journals authored by prominent individuals in our profession. I made contact with a journal author, made the arrangements, then launched a local discussion with my students with the paper as the center of discussion. Then I phoned the author, and via speaker phone, students were able to ask the author real time questions, with responses directly from the author. Students thought it was very cool.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment