Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Instructor

I didn't know how much your personality could affect me as an instructor.

Brian

So true!

Hello George and Brian:

You are very correct. In many instances the student will look to their instructor for guidance well beyond that of facilitator of their course.

This underscores the importance of being a role model in every detail. When we keep the students interests as our main focus, they're going to pick up on this and respond favorably.

Good point and observation!

Regards, Barry

Funny how the students will look up to you in facets other than instructor and listen intently when you speak. But when you are delivering a lecture they sometimes choose not to.

Hi Dave:

Yes, it is interesting. Our relationship with the student is that of instructor, facilitator, mentor, and similar adjectives.

Perhaps some students feel more comfortable discussing non-course topics because it is safe ground that won't have to be critiqued or graded. A great tool would be to create that same feeling among students in the classroom. Is that possible?

Yes! When students sense you care, you'll get their attention. Relating to them at their level helps too.

Regards, Barry Westling

I had an Instructor that was having class control issues. I gave him some tips on interjecting some humor into his class. I suggested he have some fun with it. He said that he had the personality of a "stump". He said he couldn't even keep his own kids at home on task.
He did not last long as an instructor. The young adults of today (18-21) need to be entertained. We as educators, need to learn how to use that need to our advantage. It does'nt need to be silly activities, you just need to come up with ways of presenting the information in new ways that get the student involved and have fun learning.

Hi Tim:

It's true, the yonger generation tends to approach education differently than older learners.

One might ask themselves what constitutes entertainment? Somewhere in there is going to be an element of something that has captured their attention. So I would agree that merging an active, animated presentation with course goals and learening outcomes will always be beneficial with younger learners. The students and teacher might not think of it as entertainment, but the end result is that the students have been engaged.

Regards, Barry

It does play an important role. As a "fairly young" instructor who actually practices in the real world in addition to teach, I feel students cling more closely to what I say. I feel they relate to my stories of my every day eventa and how they will fit into it once they graduate. (fit into the health care fit).

Dr. Harris-Ray:

Yes, especially in health oriented careers, students will usually be very open to stories and situations they find themselves in their careers. Teachers usually don't have to work very hard to get and keep the students attention when these opportunities present themselves. If we get their attention we have a created a better leraning environment.

Regards, Barry

Hi Tim,
As an instructor in training I've been able to observe how other instructors use your advise and get great results.

After reading your comment I realize that I make aperformance out of every class I teach. Sometimes it's dramatic, sometimes it has humor. Every day I have this memorized script of what I'm going to do that day. Each class is different so I have to leave room to improvise with the lesson. Often I feel very exhausted after teaching certain classes because sometimes there is just no easy way to teach it.

Hi Edward:
You've demonstrated a good perspective for instructors who wish their students to do their best. That is, its going to require a bit of sustained hard work on the part of the insrtuctor - something I think not all insrtuctors are willing to consistently give.

Regards, Barry

Other instructors' personalities can affect us and our perceptions of our students that they have had before, and effect our teaching styles as well. We must guard against both.

Hi Michael:
I agree that we can be influenced by the personality - maybe better said, behavior of our peer instructors, and that could lead to inaccurate student perceptions. I also think there is a way to use this in a positive and productive manner. And it doesn’t even have to involve students you will ever have contact with necessarily.

If possible, try to sit in the classes of instructors who you think generally do a good job. Take notes about the subtle ways they do things, especially as they differ from your own methods. You’re bound to pick up a technique, action or activity that you can adopt and adapt to your own instructional strategies.

I would also add to make sure your “mentor” is informed about what you’re up to, and why. I think most instructors would consider it a compliment to be asked to audit their class so you could glean some good teaching strategies.

Regards, Barry

i find being flexable and responsive to my students needs helps me to do what i need to get them to ingauge and learn.

I enjoy discussing the matter with the students then testing them

Yes, yes, yes! The students of today do need to be entertained. We can thank the advancements of technology for that. And with all of the advancement, we should be using it in the classroom. Students need to be introduced to it because it WILL be a part of their future!

I remember when I first started as a new instructor. I was nervous and a little tense. After watching and sitting in on numerous classes I noticed many different styles of teaching but mainly noticed it just takes time to be yourself. The class that you have actually has a direct impact on your own style. I have also noticed it is much easier to flow a class with a larger number 20 to say than 5. There is more interaction conversation and rhythm.

Hi Brenden:
Great comment. Getting to that point where you can be natural and feel like yourself is an inportant milestone in an educators career.

Regards, Barry

Entertainment is the key. I use a lot of the same tactics. When referring to text or lecturing I have been known to deliver it as dramatic as a Shakespearean play or as a gospel preacher at the podium. Even achieving a few Amen's and Hallelujahs along the way. Providing inspiration through the success stories keeps them striving for the ending they dream of, but what I am seeing more of these days is that people want instant success or want it as fast as they can get it by whatever means. For that I also throw in some of the not so successful stories of those that have gone before them with this attitude or drive. Showing them that the path of least resistance is not always the best one for the long hall.

Sign In to comment