Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Records are the best ammo for attack and defence

Many times in school I have seen students going to the dean blaming instructors for poor grades. keeping good records of attendance, progress, participation and other notes will be crucial when defending yourself against students who are set on blaming you for their failure. however use caution not do disclose any information to unauthorized persons. student records are confidential and misuse could have serious consequences.

Peter,
Very true. Instructors who are diligent about documentation are also likely to be as diligent regarding their effectivess regarding their instructional practices. Unfortunately many of today's younger adult students have difficulty accepting responsibility for their academic perfornance.

Barry Westling

Why do you think that is? and what are some good ways to deal with this other than records keeping. my sister is a high school teacher and she calls home has parent conferences and so on however I work with older learners 21 and up. I dont think a note to mom and dad would help. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Peter,
One reason probably has to do with the current generation of millennial-aged adults who tend to want much but do little to gain it. But regardless of the age, a suggestion I think is important is to try to cultivate a personal (of course professional) relationship with our students so that they feel comfortable reaching out to us, and conveys an opening for us to convey our desire to help, offer assistance, and build trust and respect. In that environment, students are very likely to respond more favorably.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment