Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Allowing late work

I allow late work, using a penalty to reduce their grade. But in talking to some of my colleagues, I've noticed that some of them do not allow late submissions at all.

Is this a reasonable approach, and if so, what are the positives and negatives?

Pat,
For me, I look at the relative importance of the assignment and the degree to which the assignment aligns with the overall course goals. Some assignments just have to be done on time and no amount of downgrading for late submission would be satisfactory. Routine homework, quizzes, or in classes with a lot of writing assignments, it seems accepting late submission with a penalty would be resonable. In the end, as far as grades, we have to ask, to what degree has my student learned the needed material? A fair and accurate grading ssytem would measure this effectively.

Barry Westling

I have been on both sides - allowing late work and not allowing late work. If late work is allowed, it is limited in the type of assignment and the number of days a student has to submit. However, the student must speak with me first. Further, there is a penalty for late work. I recognize that the lesson is most important, but the penalty also instills the need for soft skills, such as timeliness in completion of tasks at work.

Unless it is an excused absence, I do not allow students to take an exam on a date other than the scheduled date. It is not fair to other students as the late student may have had an extra day or weekend to study.

Finally, if late work is accepted I am strict with time for late submission. I have many assignments to grade and the institution has strict requirements for faculty time to grade. I do not want to be overloaded at the end of a term; therefore, under no circumstances do I accept any late work in the last week of the course.

I have allowed late work in the final week and you are right about there being too many other things to grade. I think I will try your policy of no late work that last week of class. Although it seems like that is when the students really start looking at what assignments are missing.

Louise,
What stands out is the orderliness and guidelines that are set beforehand. One thing students dislike is arbitrary rules or subjective grading. So the more we can define beforehand, the more accepting students will be when a guideline has to be inforced.

Barry Westling

Michele,
If possible, I try to move graded assignments so that they don't all accumulate in the last days of a course. That's not always possible. But I also encourage students they are welcome to turn things in before the deadline (although there is usually only a small minority that actually do).

Barry Westling

I also have a policy of allowing late work up to a week, but they can only get half credit. The only time I allow full credit for late assignments is when they have legitimate excuse, such as a death in the family, jury duty etc.

I think a policy of no late assignments under any circumstances is a little harsh.

Jeremy,
I think as long as guidelines are clearly stated at the beginning of a course, discussed and revisited periodically, and are fair to all, and consistent with institutional policies, just about any policy can be used. Resonableness is a big factor. Students may not like a policy, but if they understand why, at least they can potentially accept it, whether they like it or not is a different situation.

Barry Westling

For me it depends on the reason for lateness. Of course if a student has a death in the family then an exception needs to be made to accomodate the student. On the other end of the spectrum, if the student has no justification for the late assignment than it will be a zero.

Chanda,
I think it's best to have written policies about these kinds of things, and discuss it with the students at the outset. One overarching situation with making exceptions seems to be the better students who always do their wok, submit it on time, and tend to object when they see others getting "a break" when they didn't have the same opportunity. Some instructuctors have developed a declining grade scale (e.g., 3% per day) regardless of the reason. Not saying this is the best, but suggesting it is a way that others have found to be fair to all.

Barry Westling

I personally am in favor of allowing late work especially when teaching adult students. Sometimes other obligations may take precedence over a particular assignment. I do, however, believe that a percentage has to be deducted for each day that the assignment is late.

Silviu,
Opinions vary about this topic, and there really is no correct answer, as the circumstances and policies vary so greatly. All I can add is if we are interested in student learning, then our grading system should fairly and accurately measure the degree of learning that has (or has not) occurred. I also try to relate classroom plocies to the working world. For instance, do workers get to take a deduction in pay for missed work due to circumstances?

Barry Westling

Late assignments should be handled in the same way. If not I feel that they students get a sense of oh she let so and so do hand it in now I can use that so I can hand in mine. I feel that making it count for a zero unless their was a documented emergency shows that what your doing means something. I also feel it teaches them real life. In their jobs you dont get freebees you have to own up to your decisions and actions. I do feel that giving all students a one time miss is kind to do because we are all human.

Mandy,
Relating school matters to the work setting is probably the best example we can give a student to understand the benefits and consequences of their actions and behavior while in school.

Barry Westling

I allow late work but evaluate each individula case. Using the students past work and my evaluation of the efforts that they have been putting into the class. I find that other instructors have a variety of views on the subject.

Am I being too flexible??

Lanette,
If accepting late work creates an unfair advantage other students do not receive, than I would say there is too much flexibility.

Barry Westling

Barry I tend to agree with that. I've used both policies during differnet classes in the past (late work is accepted with a penalty and late work is not accepted). When late work is accepted, I felt that some of the students took advantage of the situation. In fact, when the policy was, late work not accepted, I started receiving work at least a day earlier of the scheduled absence. Students with unexpectant absences didn't complain because everyone was aware of the classroom policy and treated the same.

Carolyn,
Each institution and instructor has to decide what works best for them. In my case, late is accepted - up to a point, with increasing penalty downgrading, including zero. But I still require the assignment be completed, for a grade, even the student will receive a zero. These assignments are part of the instructional process, and are required (in my opinion) for optimal learning. I won't leave this important decision up to the whims of the student..

Barry Westling

I agree with not accepting late work. My policy is that I will accept the assignment until 12 am (midnight) on the day it is due. With email/fax available, there is usually no reason for any other extension. I go over this the first day of class. However, it is amazing how quickly they forget this policy and want some special treatment. As long as I consistently stick to this policy, I have not had any student complaints.

Patricia,
Students moan and groan sometimes, but when an instructor "sticks to their guns", over time, that expectation becomes cemented in the students mind as the way it is.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment