Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

testing

It's very important to have differnt exams for makeup exams.

Kelly,
Of course. We are measuring learning. If the potential for discussion with classmates exists, then the possibility of getting a report about "what's on the test" exists and accurate and true meeasurment cannot occur.

Barry Westling

Discussion with classmates? They will out-and-out tell each other answers...little discussion involved. It never ceased to amaze me when instructors wouldn't have three or four copies of an important test available, and then would complain about students cheating on makeup tests.

It gets bad enough that you should really have a different copy of your primary tests for this term and next term as well, especially if your course is offered every term or even every other term. Students cheat themselves when they cheat on tests, but I think telling them this is like Charlie Brown's teacher...all they hear is "wah, wah, wah."

I would take that thought even further. Having one set of "standardized" tests fosters inpropriety and cheating. Once such a test is compromised, it takes a great deal of effort to correct the situation and in many ways - the damage has been done.

Most of the courses I teach have at least 2ea versions of mid-terms and finals, and many have multiple versions of chapter quizzes as well. The students are unaware of this, but by alternating versions, those who check with a friend who recently took the course - realize there isn't any correlation to exploit. In math courses taught at our institution, we do not have standardized tests (each instructor creates the tests, quizzes, and homework prior to each course being taught). Yes, it is some work on the instructors to do this, but it drastically reduces the propensity to cheat and ensures students must "tow the line" to demonstrate content knowledge which we take very seriously.

George,
As I have maintained in these forums, testing should focus on "have students learned" and to the degree necessary. I agree when students cheat, they cheat themselves. Similarly, when a student fails, I want that to be because "the student failed themselves, not me". That's would be because they failed to prepare adequately, didn't take advantage of helps (tutoring, remediation, study guides, ect.), procrastinated, or minimized the importance of the material and it's subsequent impact on their grade. I am willing to help students, but they have to be willing to put in the same energy and effort.

Barry Westling

Samuel,
Not every course or institution has this advantage, but some do, and that is electronic testing. We do, and it allows students to test on their laptops or PC's. Questions are electronically shuffled. Even the same question alternates the order of the selections. If a student leaves the test (to peak at notes or internet), the test is ended. In this case, students are warned, and they know they will receive the grade earned. This doesn't solve all problems but it does diminish the possibility cheating. Also, making different versions is alot easier as these are usually added or deleted information from an existing test - in other words, the teacher doesn't have to recreate the wheel.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment