Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

keeping it fair

any system where a grade may depend on an opinion more than solid proof could be said to be bias in nature.

to keep it fair- if the majority of the students answered question number 10 wrong- then I tell them that it is my fault that they did not know the answer and I do not count that test question. Lisa

Hi Lisa:
Great. When a teacher can admit mistakes, or uses common sense for obvious errors, students will appreciate and give both trust and respect.

Regards, Barry

I always tell my students I don't GIVE them any kind of grade, they earn every grade they are given.

Hi Robin:
True. I have never failed a student, they fail themselves. Sometimes a student doing poorly will tell me, I'll do anything to pass this class, to which I reply...anything? They say "Yes". I pause, then say...then study! do your assignments! get help! ask questions! prioritize your prearation for class! use study cards, etc.

When student's begin to give me excuses, I can only point out they're simply reinforcing why they don't want to pass. Some get it, others don't. So be it.

Regards, Barry

if there is a question that might not be just right or have more possible awnsers. Then they need to explain why this is wrong and what would be the correct awnser. that way we are not just handing out the grade.

I agree. question should be based only on facts or matters that have been well defined.

Hi Christopher:
Course objectives and student learning outcomes should form the basis for all lessons, although I know more information and supplemental material usually gets discussed. That's what makes teaching fun!

But as to quizzes and tests, we need to be sure the basics and essentials have been covered well, and that's what students should be assessed on.

Regards, Barry

John, I agree that when a grade depends upon an opinion it can be biased. When I have to grade something that is not T/F or M/C, I give the students a clear rubric of what needs to be covered. I also give the student an opportunity to debate and defend what they have done (ex: paper or oral presentation). I also find that if the students think that I am fair - they will be less likely to feel that I am biased.

Noreen

Hi John:
Strong point - perhaps the use of grading guideline tools would be most effectively used to avoid this pitfall you are describing.

Regards, Barry

I say the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I've heard students say "so and so failed me", no matter who the instructor is (including myself) the student is talking about, I always reply that we are just recorders of the grades. We "don't" fail students, they do!!

Hi Stephen:
Great idea - one thing to consider here is that the process of talking about a question and how the answers are possibly less than fair can also be looked at as another way of instructing altogehter.

Regards, Barry

Hi Noreen:
I like what you said about the use of rubrics. If they are presented to the student before the due date of an assignment, there should be no question of the instructor's intent to be fair and impartial in the grading process.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment