Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

grading system

The biggest problem is having a grading system that works for everybody.

Hi Stu:

Boy, how true.

A common thread that can help is to try to define what it is that you want to teach beforehand. Then, devising some way to measure if that learning occured will be a lot easier.

As to fair, first you want to make sure you've been fair to your students by giving them all of the information or resources in order to potentially score well. I think a common misconception is the "gap" between what the teacher thinks was taught and the reality of what the students received in learning.

So, study guides, spending time for review, peer study groups, and peer presentation are but a few examples that can be cited as methods to get your students motivated to really shine!

Regards, Barry

We cant always make everyone happy, but staying unbiased is important.

Grading systems vary from school to school and class to class so it is important to make the details of the way you plan to grade assignments very clear to the students. You're right, we can't make everyone happy so being unbiased along with providing very clear expectations can help with students frustration or dislike of a specific grading system.

Hi Jesus:
You've got it right:
>Unbiased (fair)
>Clear (written expectations)
I would add consequences in the mix as well. One way many instructors find useful is a Grading Matrix that lists all the graded components and how each will be measured. When done well, these tend to eliminate disatisfaction because everyone is on the same playing field.

Regards, Barry

I agree with the accumulation of points system. I like to use Excel Spreadsheet because I can maintain it on a flash drive, and can easily calculate grades on the day of the final exam (and make up the course's grade acknowledgment forms that very day). It also allows me to weigh more heavily tests over quizzes by multiplying the tests' raw scores in the points accumulation calculation.

Hi John:
Excel spreadsheets (or similar tools) do add a degree of manipulation of raw data that can be extremely helpful when calculating final grades, projected grades, minimum points needed, and so forth. Smometimes it's helpful to be able to discuss a students performance in an "what if" mode, and Excel is great for that kind of thing too.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment