Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Looking at Soft Skills in a new way

I'm among those who considered soft skills as mostly innate, and very difficult to teach or assess.  I'm intrigued with the concept of translating the taxonomy of essential workforce skills into something that can be observable and measurable. 

I thought this first module was very interesting and engaging, and I am excited to complete the course and start looking at our curriculum to see how we can facilitate the acquisition of these skills by our students.

Learn through real cases

I think the best way to learn how to apply soft skills is through real cases. I usually share real situations that I have lived in programs, projects, technologies, organization, management and structuring businesses. I describe the case, explaining the technical and management side of it but also detailing how the soft skill was used and how important it was. Most professionals/students understand soft skills at a high level, but it takes practice to use them (well). 

Which is better?

In your opinion does learning on the job produce better results than obtaining accolades like certifications or degrees?

EWS: The Certification Process | Origin: ACCSC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Preparing for ACCSC's Essential Workforce Skills Programmatic Certification -->EWS: The Certification Process

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

EWS: Development and Demonstration | Origin: ACCSC110

Preparing for ACCSC's Essential Workforce Skills Programmatic Certification -->EWS: Development and Demonstration

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

EWS: Creating a Culture | Origin: ACCSC110

Preparing for ACCSC's Essential Workforce Skills Programmatic Certification -->EWS: Creating a Culture

EWS: The Big Picture | Origin: ACCSC110

Preparing for ACCSC's Essential Workforce Skills Programmatic Certification -->EWS: The Big Picture