Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that one must be careful on what type of questions are being asked to a student with a disability. Like the reading said, "treat a person with a disability as a student FIRST. It is inappropriate to ask personal questions about their disability. 

As an instructor, I need to be aware of a student's disability so that the student can have access to the same quality of education.  However, I do need to be careful to not "label" a student based on the disability.

All students deserve the same quality of education, and instructors need to focus on the students, not the disability.

As an admissions representative, it is very important to remember not to assume when working with students with disabilities! 

Great information.

State and local governments and private agencies are required to provide reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities on licensure and certification testing, and in evaluation of their credentials (that is, whether or not they meet the technical standards of the profession).

I learned that there are boundaries for communicating with a disabled student about their disability. I cannot ask a student if they have a disability I have to allow them to disclose the information

Learn to be kind and respectful to each student (our client) and with respect we can gain a great outcome

Treat everyone equally, help the prospect understand the requirements of the program.  Defer to your institutional expert when it comes to accommodations 

Because we are in the service industry we need to be mindful that all the work we do in the classroom is much like that as well. Asking what is that we can to make it easier on a student with a disability. Effective communication will go a long way. 

Sign In to comment