Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Refreshing an already established team

Having worked with the same group for several years, the need to avoid stagnation occurs. With strong leadership and clear goals, a team must continue to strive for success. Complacency can be a common enemy, so encouraging new ideas has become critical. Each member must be reminded that his or her role is important.

Your comment is so true. It is common for long standing teams to become more like work groups because of the stagnation. So often the team leader or champion stop giving the rewards and acknowledgements that are important to keep the team motivated.

Hi Dr. Morley,

I have lead a team for the past 3 years with only a few changes in members. After a year and a half, the team seemed like it might need some new blood. I asked the team if there were any members who would like to rotate out. No one wanted to leave the team. This in and of itself told me the members were committed, but stifled new blood. I do not want to force people off the team, they are all very capable members, but do need to get good fresh perspective and new ideas flowing.

Any suggestions for re-energizing an existing team?

John,
One suggestion would be to have an off-site "kick-off" meeting where you introduce something new to your team. Perhaps this could be a new procedure or a twist on the existing purpose of the team. Often, taking people off-site and doing a brainstorming session about how to improve the effectiveness of the team will reenergize people. You could also consider incorporating "stretch" assignments for each member. This is something that is achievable but stretches there skillset or comfort level a bit.
I hope those ideas help! Let me know how it goes with your team. I also invite other Forum members to send your suggestions to John for considerations.

Good luck!
Jamie

Hello every one,

I have to say from self experience and being the newest member of my team, that "new blood" helps a lot some times, but if you don't have that option sometimes having someone from the outside to just observe your team might give you a few pointers for improvement.

Cesar.

I have weekly team meetings end of every week. First and foremost checkpoint, how is morale? Next,"what challenges, successes happen during the week", followed by group identification of priorities for the upcoming week. Delegating who will be responsible for monitoring outcomes, with an established timeline for feedback.

I once had to take over a team that nobody else wanted due to the stagnation and the 'good ole boy' network. My end result was to decimate the team and bring in new blood.

It is often difficult to work with the same individuals and come up with new ideas. It is important for the team leader to encourage all.

I agree that each team member should be reminded that his or her role is important to the team.
When a member is praised, they are more likely to participate. Assign groups to a collaborative research project that involves reaching out into the community can create some new thinking. Group and individual responsibilities should eb placed on a timeline for completion. Ask the group to present their findings.

Judith,
I love your idea about the collaborative research project! I have never seen that done before. Are team members responsive to this? Do you have roles for each team member to help coordinate their community outreach? Having a retreat or brainstorming session offsite is another way to refresh a team.

Nice ideas1

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree with Judith. I have found that a scheduled "presentation" of findings from a sub-group or individual revitalizes a team in that the presenter will often seek and provide new information that is usually outside of the group's norm. This charges conversation and teases creativity. ...which makes a team meeting fun rather than same-o/same-o.

Lynda,

Good point. It is also a good strategy to assign or encourage various members to present different components of the presentation so that everybody has an incentive to stretch their thinking and participation.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Thank you for indirectly reminding me of how important it is to thank team members for contributing. The mad rush to cover information, focus on the crisis of the day, and move on to the next meeting dilutes meaning for others. I rush too much, and will slow down enough to acknowledge and extend more appreciation to my team.

Katherine,

A good leader takes time to breathe and think -- which sounds so easy and yet there are days and weeks that go by when I worry about not having any "thinking" time! Remembering that your employees may feel the same way, will help you empathize and makes you a wonderful leader! Well done.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I recently started within new company, so I took over a team that didn't have a Program Chair for almost 2 years. Wow, it has been a major struggle to win the faculty over and show that I am here to make things better and help them facilitate a better student experience. Any suggestions?

LATONYA,
You might want to focus on a project/initiative that all agree would have a big impact on the student experience. Allow the team to be semi self directed with appropriate and frequent oversight. Allow the team to function democratically within the scope of the project. Allowing them the make decisions and have the responsibility and accountability for the project's success or failure.Celebrate team/project successes and acknowledge and celebrate the team effort. This might help you gain trust and set the tone for future team successes.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment