Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Required Reading for the FAO

Why is it important for the FAO to read the “Federal Registers”?

The laws are constantly changing so it is important for the FAO to keep up in order to provide correct and information.

Sara,

The laws are constantly changing, so when asked a question from a client or colleague, I also double check the regulations, just in case.

Cindy Kohlman

In order to be up to date and be able to answer any questions the students may have correctly.

Its important to keep inform because the laws are constantly changing so it is important for the FAO to keep up in order to provide correct and information. And always be inform.

Solanch,

It is critical that a financial aid officer keep current for both regulatory purposes and to ensure accurate information is disseminated to students, parents and other departments at the school. I have poor eyesight to prove it!

Cindy Kohlman

Dayanis,

You are absolutely correct! The success of the FAO is based upon his or her credibility and reputation. Once damaged, by giving out incorrect information, it is very hard to gain that trust back. It never hurts to have to tell a colleague or student that you will get back to them after double checking the law or regulation.

Cindy Kohlman

I believe its very important to be awarder and informed of any Federal Register chance.

Maria,

A great deal of reading is required to keep current in the financial industry. A great resource is www.IFAP.ed.gov which contains a wealth of information, including all the Federal Registers, etc.

Cindy Kohlman

Simply to be able to understand it and explain it to the schools students. Since thing are always changing one needs to make sure to stay up to date.

Asmir,

My poor eyesight is proof that all the reading required for a financial aid administrator is essential to success and staying current on ever-changing regulations. Being able to break down, sometimes complex rules, into simple terminology for students and staff is equally important!

Cindy Kohlman

Federal Registers will keep us up to date on any changes to regulations and new regulations that will rule our procedures at the Financial Aid Office. This will help us to stay in compliance.

Because there are many changes in law and regulations, a FAO has to be up-to-date on the Federal Registers. This will ensure that the FAO and the institution comply with changes or new regulatory items.

Cindy,

It is important to be up to date on all regulations to administer FA funds. IFAP is a wonderful informative tool that assists all of those in financial aid departments.

Ileana,

The Federal Registers are extremely helpful and I always recommend subscribing to the weekly IFAP distribution list, which provides anything new in the financial aid arena, including training opportunities, new chapters for the Federal Student Aid Handbook, technical information and releases, etc. I make sure that I schedule the time every week to read through all items that are applicable to me and my clients. It does take time but it is worth it in the end in order to stay current!

Cindy Kohlman

Sergio,

Yes, the Federal Registers are very helpful. I have found that the most time-efficient way to stay current is to subscribe to the weekly IFAP distribution list. I think the website is outstanding and 99% of the time I am able to find what I am looking for within a few clicks!

In at least two of the financial aid offices that I worked for we divided up the many listservs and we were responsible to provide updates to the staff either via email or during a staff meeting. Then we would periodically re-assign them, so that everyone became familiar with the various resources available via the Department of Education, regional and state lists, etc.

Cindy Kohlman

Maria,

You are right on! IFAP is my favorite resource and I don't know what I did without it. Years ago we received everything via paper from the Department of Education and it only went to the Director. If the Director did not share it, or in some cases, interpreted the regulations incorrectly, the staff was at their mercy. Today, due to the internet, there is no reason that any financial aid administrator can not empower themselves and look what whatever information they need!

Cindy Kohlman

To ensure they are informed of any new or old laws and how it can or should be applied to today's polices and procedures. This ensured rules and regulations are always followed to the T.

Catalina ,

Reading in order to stay current in the financial aid industry is mandatory. This is a very time consuming part of the job and one that is so important that I actually schedule time on my calendar for it. Also, due to the fact that there is so much available to read, that in some of the financial aid offices I have worked for we divided up the responsibilities of the various listservs, training opportunities and then summarized them for the entire staff either via email or during a staff meeting. This was a very strategic method as it assisted with the heavy workload already expected from financial aid professionals.

Cindy Kohlman

I believe because it is very important for a FAO to familiarize him/herself with the law and regulation to learn how to use them accurately and effectively. Also because regulations are constantly changing, so we can't keep up with all the details.

Sign In to comment