Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Essential Skill Set

If you were interviewing candidates for a Financial Aid Director position, what skill set would be required and why?

I would look for attention to detail. This shows the ability to understand all aspects without cutting corners.

Sara,

Attention to detail is a great example of a characteristic to look for when hiring a Director of Financial Aid. For example, when reviewing candidate's credentials, if there were any typos they were immediately considered a "B" candidate even if they met all other required qualifications.

Cindy Kohlman

Customer Service Skills, as students need to feel that one on one care, since they are trusting you with their education.

Make sure they can manage their time appropriately, as there is many things that must be complete at a certain time and date.

Dayanis,

Soft skills are very important to consider when hiring a Director of Financial Aid. These types of skills are much harder to "teach". My experience has shown that caring about other people does not come natural to everyone, so it is definitely a quality to look for during the interview process.

Cindy Kohlman

Solanch,

Yes, another important characteristic to look for is time management and organizational skill. I agree that the proper administration of financial aid involves many deadlines and date-specific tasks that if completed late, will result in possible consequences for the student and/or the school.

Cindy Kohlman

I would look for a person that is preparer for any question the students might have and also that is inform of all the regulations.

Maria,

Preparation and doing your homework are essential practices for successful FAO's. They need not "memorize" all the federal regulations but they certainly should know how to look them up quickly when it involves an area they are less familiar with.

Cindy Kohlman

I would look for a candidate knowledgeable with the rules and regulations of FA. One that understands the importance of adherence to these regulations yet understands the needs of the students and the campus. I would look for someone with integrity and a high level of customer service. They must posses good leadership skills to ensure the FA team is also up to date and in compliance at all times. They must also know how to think outside the box while staying compliant and train to "overcoming obstacles" and finding possible solutions to help students meet their needs.

The person is got to be detail oriented and be great communicator (Customer service).
The detail is important in order to make sure that all of the paperwork is done properly.
Being a great communicator will allow the person to review all the information clearly.

I would look for someone with experience in working with government regulations, since it's an important aspect of the job. In addition, a person with good communication skills would be important so they would have the ability to instruct the student and thoroughly answer questions. Great customer service skills are important, as well as attention to detail.

I would look for someone who can prioritize amongst multiple deadlines and objectives. I would also look for someone who pays close attention to, reviews, and is accountable for what they are doing as a matter of course. I would also look for someone who can assimilate new information quickly to stay on top of regulatory changes.

Monique ,

I first want to apologize. For some reason I did not receive a message that I had Forum activity, so I am so sorry about this late response.

The qualifications that you have indicated are excellent attributes to look for during the hiring process! How would you assess during the interview process if the candidate was able to "think out of the box"?

Cindy Kohlman

Asmir,

I would like to apologize for the lateness of my response. For some reason, I did not receive a message about any Forum activity.

The skills you suggest to look for when hiring a financial aid officer are essential. It can sometimes be a challenge to find a so-called "people-person" along with someone who excels at processing paperwork.

Cindy Kohlman

Linda,

Again, I apologize for the lateness of my response. The characteristics you have stated would be very beneficial to take into consideration when hiring a financial aid professional. The attention to detail is key and I would also look for organizational skills. Experience with government relations is something that I had not thought of but it is a great idea!

Cindy Kohlman

Kristina,

I am so very sorry about the lateness of this response.

All the skills you have recommended are great ideas. Accountability is my favorite and probably one of the rarest qualities that you have listed! A financial aid administrator must keep on top of changing rules and regulations and then be able to share with in a timely fashion with applicable staff and students when needed.

Cindy Kohlman

I think that even though supervisory skills is an important issue for a director, knowledge of federal regulations is a key factor. Also, knowing where to find any type of answers to everyday situations is very important.

Hi Cindy,

I think it is important for a director of Financial aid to have the following qualities: Knowledge of Title IV regulations, good customer service skills for students, and to adhere to institutional policies. Store leadership skills, and to be up to date with all new policies.

I will look for a person with regulations understanding and that is people oriented which will help with difficult situations with students, parents, and employees.

Sign In to comment