Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Corrective Action Illustrations

What best illustrates an example of a corrective action and justify why?

One example of a corrective action would be to revise or reword a school catalog or website if the original wording was determined to be misleading or a misrepresentation of facts (i.e. "We have the best instructors." A more appropriate and accurate choice of words would be to say "We have excellent instructors." This statement could be true without overstating the facts.

Linda,

I apologize for the lateness of my response. For some reason I did not receive a message that I had Forum activity so I apologize!!

The example you state about how appropriate wording is right on. So often, I find that schools do not purposely mislead students, it is simply done by accident. A thorough review of all publications, the school website, and advertisement wording should be conducted often to ensure wording is appropriate and as you stated does not overstate the facts.

Cindy Kohlman

Correction action is illustrated by a request from the Department to correct erroneous information such as claims made on a website or in other marketing material. Claims such as "we are the best" or "greatest teachers" or "highest placement rate" would be examples.

Susan,

You cite all excellent examples. I believe that most schools would not do such things on purpose. My experience has shown that these types of practices are done for sales reasons or innocently by departments. I had one school that offered a golf program that published a 100% placement rate on the college website. I pointed it out immediately and was told that it was a fact, they indeed placed all students. I still recommended that they word it differently, just in case at some point they had even one person that could not be placed.

Cindy Kohlman

Corrective actions may be required for schools that substantially “misrepresent” themselves with regard to their educational programs, financial charges, or their graduates’ employability. An example would be guaranteeing a student job placement when you actually only offer job placement assistance.

Allison,

All of the examples you cite are actual scenarios that many schools get themselves into trouble with.

Cindy Kohlman

A student is under awarded from Federal Pell Grant and funds can't be requested due to year closed, etc. the school has to award the student from school's funds. Also the school could pay a monetary finding to the Department, but the best is to pay the student with school's funds.student.

Daisy,
I believe it is always better for the school to find the funds to pay in this scenario. Waiting until the Department finds the discrepancy in an audit in never advisable.

Warren Hoffman

I find it very difficult to present an example that best illustrates a corrective action. The reason I feel it is difficult is because of the different types of circumstances that might require a corrective action. The school might be issued a fine, limitation, or suspension proceeding and the Department may require a school to take a corrective action. Corrective actions may also be required if a school “misrepresents” themselves with regard to their educational programs, financial charges, or their graduates’ employability.
So, for example, if a program review were to identify a recurrent calculation error in Return of Title IV, the corrective action might be to correct all of the errors and return the correct amount of funds. Also training concerning R2TIV worksheets could be part of the corrective action. On the other hand, if the problem was misrepresentation, then the corrective action might be part of a much bigger corrective action plan which would require corrective actions by all levels of school employees--from management on down.

Promising students a job after they graduate.

Sign In to comment