Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Retention

Much of this module centered on repetition of the message. All makes sense. However when dealing with non-traditional student base, most with very little support (financial or emotional) from their home, isn't there a fear of too much constant emphasis on financial obligation given them more reasons to quit school.

I think along with the repetition needs to be the encouragement to let them know they have made an important investment in their future. Showing that you support them and are providing the tools for them to be successful beyond graduation provides them the inspiration to achieve their educational goals.

This is a thought that passed through my mind as well- We can reinforce consistently- but we need to do it in a positive mature fashion- or it might seem like nagging. I believe that with younger students the idea of this debt is so far out of their consciousness- it might help to bring it to something concrete- like buying a house (Which their debt may equal in value)

I agree that you have to find a way to keep it positive which can be hard. It's great to offer the example of being able to buy a house in the future, or maybe in the case of a younger student the chance to buy a car. You still want them to be aware of the consequences of default but giving thema positive goal to look forward to can be quite the motivator.

Sign In to comment