Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Steps to avoid a program review

My opinion on that subject, is not how to avoid the review, but how to be prepared for one. There is no way to avoid one, because there are so many factors that can trigger a review. Some reviews are mandatory depending on the agency doing the review.

Peggy,

I agree with your point. The key to a successful review is to be prepared and to ensure that you have meet all regulatory requirements during the processing of SFA funds. Some colleges do fail to meet certain criteria which will trigger a review.

Thanks, Chyrl

The best way to prepare for a program review is to keep your student financial aid files as accurate as possible. Going that extra mile to ensure accuracy will be beneficial to your institution in the long run.

Ava,

You are correct. The best practice is to handle all items related to student or parent's FA information in an accurate manner. If you perform all of the compliance requirements upfront you will insure that the file is accurate and will stand the test of a program reviews.

Thanks, Chyrl

I agree sometimes a program review can not be avoided. Before requesting/disbursing funds, review student financial aid file to insure you have meet all regulatory requirements (accurate documentation). Follow the rules and your program review outcome should be successful.

Excellent statement, we must learn to be prepared for when one occurs. We always can strive to not have any and work towards that. But I believe must of all be knowledgable in what to do when they happen.

Tamika,

That is correct and it is important for your institution to work toward this goal daily. You should have standard procedures and policies for aspects of the institution and processing of students.

Chyrl

Patricia,

It seems like a simply concept - Follow the Rules and the PR will be successful; however, there is a great deal of work that has to go into this process. If institutions document and maintain accurate records, the program review should be nothing more that a verification of the institution's excellent work.

Thanks, Chyrl

I believe that you can't avoid a program review, but you do need to be prepared for one. An institution needs be following all the guidline that the Department has in place, to ensure a smooth program review.

Jennifer,

You are right that you cannot avoid the program review since all colleges will periodically receive one and preparation is the best remedy. It is important to be prepared and to adhere to all regulations that affect the handling of TIV. Also, it is benefical to have all of your files organized in the same manner to insure the reviewers can review in a timely manner.

Thanks, Chyrl

Having your files organized is something that I remind my department about a lot. If I find it annoying when I am reviewing a file and it is not in order, imagine how frustrating it is for a reviewer.

Jose,

Organized files are a great way to enable reviewers from outside sources to determine if all documents are contained within the student files. Do you have any other steps you or your campus follows to insure that you are preapred for a program review or audit? I would be interested any other suggestions that you might have for other colleges.

Your participation is appreciated. Chyrl

We review files as if they are going to be audited using guidelines such as SOX review sheet.

Jose,

That seems like a very wise plan to insure compliance on review and audits.

I appreciate your willingness to share your insight on this topic. Chyrl

I agree, follow the guidlines and always be prepared.

Kathy

Kathy,

Short and sweet but very much to the point on how to avoid or what to do to be prepared for it. It may be a good exercise to have "mock" reviews to insure that everyone is processing and storing documents appropriately.

Sincerely, Chyrl

We do a quarterly audit on our files to make sure each student's account and file is accurate and up-to-date. This definitely helps our stress levels when it does come time for a program review.

Megan,

Your structure and discipline of performing a quarterly audit is a great way to insure compliance within your files and posting to AR. It is important to take the time to insure that all documents and postings are accurate and timely processed for your students. I am sure that it is difficult to find the time to always inspect your work or the work of your team; however, it is critical to insure compliance.

Sincerely, Chyrl

At all times we review each other's files as if we were auditors, making sure our i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

I agree, you always have to be one step ahead. First steps are taking your time and being accurate not rushing through. Also do a monthly audit on your files and make sure you didn't miss anything the first time around.

Sign In to comment