Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Discuss the impact that Financial Aid Administrators have on our students impression of education and making the right school chioce.

The role a financial aid administrator assumes on behalf of the school definitely has great impact on the impression a prospective student will have before enrolling. The advice and counseling that a Financial Aid Administrator will provide is a key ingredient in recruitment because he or she will accomodate new students according to heir ability to cover tuition costs and other expenses. Usually schools that have an outstanding Financial Aid administrator have the benefit of a more positive outcome and tend to have more motivated and satisfied students; furthermore, this role requires individuals that are sensitive and insightfulm which are qualities that in effect students find appealing and value when making a decision to become part of a school.

Mary,

The role of the FA Administrator is critical to the success of the student during what can be a difficult process. The ability to motivate students to complete the process timely and accurately will be a benefit to the student and the college. If the outcome is positive the student will definitely be more willing to work with the FA Administrator to satisfy any additional requirements that come up after the initial interview. Great response!

Chyrl

I agree. The students that do not understand their financing arrangements and are not comfortable with their decisions usually seem to drop within a short period of time or become dissatisfied both with the school and with their education.

As an ongoing effort to improve customer service, our school has a renewed effort to make the Financial Aid department and the Admissions department partners in making sure the prospective student understands their options in both the education and financing areas.

Michael,

I am in agreement with your approach in the Financial Aid and Admission Departments' relationship. When I worked at the college level I always strived for a tight bond between my financial aid staff and the admissions staff. This bond allowed us to work together for the success of our students. It has been my experience the student success comes when all work together.

Thanks, Chyrl

Being counseled and aided by a knowledgeable, efficient and sympathetic (to each student's need) FA Administrator, our students will have a good impression of higher education. Thus, they will be motivated to work with us in order to achieve their future career goal.

The first impression that a student has of the FA Staff lasts throughout his or her program of study. Students are willing to work with a knowledgeable and efficient FA Staff. The key is getting the student to understand that you are there to help them acheive their educational goals.

This is a very true statement. Our college used outside ACS third party for FA advisors and noticed negative impact to potential students. Our college has since moved forward to assigning each Director of Admissions an internal Financial Aid Advisor. We are hoping to see major improvement to our student retention since now both departments have a vested interest.

Lola,

Some colleges have successful and timely relationshipd with their outside vendors; however, it is ultimately the college's responsibility to meet the needs of their students. It is important that all departments take an active role in the student's success.

Thanks, Chyrl

I agree. The Admissions Department and the Financial Aid department need to work as partners to deliver the customer service students look for.

Tamika,

The Admission and FA Departments mustalways work together in a professional manner for the benefit of the students. Also, it is important for FA to have a good relationship with the Academic Department and other departments within the college. You want all departments to share information for the benefit of the student.

Thanks, Chyrl

Michael,

I agree with you and as the Coordinator of Financial Aid it is imperative that the process of informing students is done in a clear and precise manner, since it is one of the most important factors. If the information is unclear it causes concern and anxiety for the student and in many instances it affects the decision to begin or to continue their educational careers. If the student feels comfortable and has confidence in the person who is providing the information it will influence the student in making a positive decision.

Education can be a costly investment at first. To sell your school to students, you need to have an Admissions and Financial Aid team that work together to assure the prospective students and students that they are investing in their money in something that is going to give back to them.

Jennifer,

It is extremely important to provide student with the information necessary to make an accurate decision on their institution of choice. I think it is imperative that the student is fully aware of the the academic offerings, the availablility of TIV funding and other instituional funding sources; however, ultimately the decision will rest with the student and his/her family on where to attend that best meets their needs.

Thanks, Chyrl

The Financial Aid Officer can make a student feel as though they are welcome into the school by the way she/he work with them on solving any problems or just by being informative with the answers to questions. I think this attitude helps them relax and feel like they can learn in this school.

Elsia,

I agree with you that a relax setting in the financial aid office is beneficial in working with students. If the student is comfortable with the financial aid staff the student will be willing to work with the staff to resolve any issues.

Thanks, Chyrl

Financial aid administrators are important from the day thet the admissions representative first introduces a new prospective student until the student graduates (or leaves) and needs to prepare for re-payent. Ideally, the financial aid administraors should form relationships with students, know them by name, and earn the trust of their customers (our students). It can not harm the school if students understand that the best financial aid opportunities were made available.

Valerie,

During my career in financial aid I have seen many FA Administrators make the mistake of takin the time to really get to know their students and address their individual concerns. Each student's situation is unique and our approach should be based on the student sitting in front of us - instead of a standard process. It is important to establish a relationship with the student so he or she will be comfortable coming to you instead of their classmates.

Thanks, Chyrl

They have a large impact on students. The FA process is so jammed with information, the way a rep conducts the process goes a long way to affirming the student's choice to attend that school. If the FA process doesn't connect with the student there is a good chance that student can be lost.

Richard,

Your observations is extremely important and how you use this information to relate to your students will be beneficially in their reflection on the financial aid process.

Do you have an scenarios that you could share that would reflect a missed opportunity or where you were able to identify a potential missed connection with a student that was turned around for success. This information could be bencenfical for other participants. It is not necessary to share a name just the scenario.

Your participant is appreciated and I look forward to your continued efforts.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Sign In to comment