Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Return of Title IV Funds

Discuss the impact that Return of Title IV funds have had on colleges since its implementation.

Federal Title IV aid is earned on a daily basis up to and including the 60% point. Upon a withrdrawl the refund policy that is established allows the school to calcualate the earned and unearned funds allowing proper return of the Title IV funds if applicable, insuring proper disposition.

The clarity of the R2T4 regulations allow colleges to more accurately calculate refunds. The R2T4 also offers students more information about the amount of funds that have been retained by an institution and about the amount returned.

Jaime,

Good feedback. Chyrl

Anne,

I think that is an excellent point. RT4 does seem to offer students more information on how and why funds are being retained for their institutional or non-institutional charges.

Thanks, Chyrl

the department considers an institution to have sufficient cash reserves if all requiered return were made on time

Mercedes,

That is an excellent point; however, I would be interested in how RT4 has impacted your college and students.

Thanks, Chyrl

The impact has been favorable not only to the school but to the student as well. As a school it establishes the calculation of earned and unearned funds adopting to a Refund Policy which also allows our students to better view and understand how the percentages of funds are applied wether it be retained or not.

I agree completely it allows the student to better understand what they have received.

Esther,

I believe RTIV has allowed students to have a better understanding of the funding disbursed while in school and the amount that can be retained based on the amount of time spent in school. Besides your students how has RTIV impacted your institution?

Jaime,

Feedback is real good>

Thanks
Esther

I believe that any institution that participates in federal financial aid programs should have a process in place to identify and process R2T4 calculations in a timely manner. The consequences of not doing so can mean the difference between being able to award aid to all of your students who are eligible or having to depend on a cash only income. Educating the entire staff on how important this process is and what it means to the student and institution has really helped our school in managing this task.

Andrea,

Your understanding of the importance of timely and accurately processing of RT4 is excellent. It is important that all departments understand the need to manage this process from start to finish.

Thanks, Chyrl

R2T4 has become an important tool in determining school eligibility for federal funds.

Ava,

Why do you feel that RT4 is an important tool in determining a college's eligibility for federal funds? Do you feel that a college's ability to manage this process is more important than other areas of college administration?

Thanks, Chyrl

My school is brand new to Financial Aid and we have not yet done a Return of Title IV funds. It seems that this has a major impact on your school as we discovered in the acreditation process, this is one of the areas that the Deparmtent of Education is very strict about.

Since the R2T4 refund calc is stringent/detailed, I was wondering if there were conflicts b/w admissions, business, and FA office in enforcing this rule? Was the implentation timeframe long & difficult?

Athena,

An implementation of RT4 is not difficult and rarely have I experienced conflicts between the various department since we are all working for the success of the studnet. The most difficult part is ensuring that all of the procedures are followed to ensure compliance.

Sincerely, Chyrl

It is so important ot have a system in place so that FA is notified of all drop students in a timely manner. We make sure to communicate with Education and Registrar to track students progression through school. We have reports that let us know if students have been absent for several days. Teamwork is key between key departments because students can fall throught he cracks if not monitored continuously.

lori, Good team-work is very important to ensure the students that have withdrawn from school either officially or unofficially are processed out in a timely and accurate manner. Since there are time-frame requirements regarding the processing out of a withdrawn student, teamwork and the tracking of students is key. Good luck in your continued online education.

Regards,

David McGuffee

Sign In to comment