Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with parents special requests...

What would you do if a studen't parent tell you she will provide all the necessary documentation to complete the student's verification process but the student cannot has access to those documents(eg. divorce documents, parent's income documents, etc.)?

I had this situation come up last year.

I met with with student and parent jointly to discuss eligibility.

I scheduled separate appointments for each to obtain verification documents.

It took a little more time but I was able to obtain the documents I needed and was able to meet the parents request.

We had this situation on numerous occasions. Not necessarily the parent not wanting the student to see their information, but they did not want me or any other financial aid officer to see their information. You have to gain their trust and make them feel comfortable providing personal documentation. Make sure they understand their personal information is confidential and will only be shared with the appropriate parties. More times than none you will have a good outcome.

Getting into a relationship with parent is important. Get them comfortable and let them know you understand where they are coming from, this will bring them into the conversation as a listener and not just someone who is complaining or not wanting to give information. Letting them know about FERPA is very important as well. Most of the time this will work, unfortunetly you will have some parents that refuse to help or give any information.

Samantha, I could not agree with you more. It is very important for parents to be involved in the packaging process of their dependent child. They need to know the importance of understanding the cost associated with their child completing their education process. whether the cost will be covered by them or their child, they need to be part of the proces. You can't get all of them involved but you can for most. good luck in your continued process of growing in financial aid.

Sincerely,

David McGuffee

Sign In to comment