Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Compressing the Processing Timeline

We are striving to compress the time between receiving the FAFSA and giving the student the Award Letter. I would like to hear from others' experiences regarding this.

What is your average timeline? Are you trying to shorten your processing time? What issues / problems have you encountered?

Michael,

We are a servicer so our clients use our software and they are able to issue a Tentative Award Letter as soon as they complete the needs analysis. Our clients have to wait the standard 3 days for an ISIR to finalize the award letter; however, they provide a Tentative Award Letter in the initial interview (rarely do they have changes between Tentative and Confirmed).

We are always striving to expedite the process for the student. However, we cannot finalize until the receipt of the ISIR. Our clients are able to issue Tentative Award Letters due to our software product.

Thanks, Chyrl

Well, issues that we have with our students is getting them to understand what is needed for them to bring in (income information). Most people don't want to bring in their income information for whatever reason. They make up excuses on why they can't. Didn't work, didn't file taxes.

What should we do to help our students understand the importance in bring in the neccessary information we need?

Tamika,

I would recommend informing the students upfront of the required documents to accurately complete their Financial Aid process. Some colleges develop forms that list the required documents and why they are necessary. If the student comes to the initial FA interview with the necessary documents one can normally complete the student up-to Waiting on an ISIR.

Thanks, Chyrl

I think that it would be a great idea to get both as a package.
My average timeline is about two to three days.

Elsia,

An average timeline of 2 to 3 days to process students is excellent. It is important to process timely and accurately for all aspects of the student process.

Thanks, Chyrl

We have a process in place where we ask the student to save their confirmation page after they submit their FAFSA and once they email it to us we then can do a FA appt and present the student with an Award package. Depending on the urgency set forth by the Admisssions Rep we can do an FA appt the same day the student is contacted about being interested in the program and we strive to have all packaging done within 72 hrs and if they do we have an incentive in place. Students have really responded positively. If the student fills out the FAFSA before 12 noon you can get it to drop in two days otherwise it's a standard 3 days.

Becca,

Your process appears to be a good way to keep the overall FA processing moving and ensure that your prospective students receive timnely processing. Incentives are a great way to encourage involvement.

Your participation in this forum is appreciated. Best wishes on your continued educational growth.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Sign In to comment