Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comunication

Better comunication between Fin. Aid and the
student.

Esther,

Communication is the key. How does better communication between the financial aid office and the student impact processing at your institution?

Good communication means faster processing for the student and the school.

Esther,

I agree the better the communication between departments, the greater success the student will experience during the process. Thanks, Chyrl

Once a prospective student is recommended by our admissions department they immediatley meet with a financial aid officer. By taking the time up front to discuss financial aid options and answer questions it has been my experience that this gives the student the perception that someone actually cares about them. Building trust and confidence is key to solid communication between students and staff. As a result I spend less time tracking down documentation and students are more likely to come to me if they have problems both inside and outside of the classroom thus improving retention.

Andrea,

Your response is excellent. I completely agree that it is imperative to build the prospective student/Financial Aid office relationship at the earliest stage in the college process. It sounds like your initial visit with the student builds a bond that last throughout the process.

Thanks, Chyrl

Good communication ensures that the student understands their responsibility before starting school. Also, communication between the students and staff will help to build trust and open the lines of communication which will help to improve retention.

Darrin,

Your comments are right on target. In order to interact with students and discuss the necessary requirements for financial aid it is imperative to have the trust and confidence of your students. Communication is necessary betweeen all departments within a college to insure the student experience is successful.

Thanks, Chyrl

Communication is absolutely imperative to the entire process and student experience. The transition for the student into academia after going through the admissions and financial aid process is key to their education, relationship with faculty and fellow students and retention.

Good communication ensures that a student/parent fully understands their FA package and bonds the student with FA and Admissions staff.

Another key point to remember is that often times students and/or their parents feel overwhelmed at their first Financial Aid meeting and may later still be confused even though we think we've done a good job communicating the first time. We may then be called on to explain things a second time, and we should be just as courteous and patient as we were the first time.
Kim

Kim,

It is important to always remain courteous and patient when dealing with students and parents. The more information that you are able to provide the more comfortable they will be with the process. Open and clear communication is extremely important in the relationship between students and their financial aid advisor.

Thanks, Chyrl

Communication does not exist solely in a verbal manner. Written communication has proven to work with our students in a positive and permament manner.

We have created a "Financial Aid Question & Answer Booklet" for our graduate professional students that covers all student loan programs, academic progress requirements, loan limits, aggregate limits and other questions asked by both current and incoming students. This booklet is provided at time of application, again at Orientation and at Exit Interviews.

There is a section indicating any questions or concerns not addressed in the booklet can be answered via e-mail or phone at the student's convenience.

I have found the written communication and the permanentcy of the booklet allows for referral when a particular situation arises rather than relying only on our verbal communications with students. Our booklet has been successful for several years.

We have had to update the booklet since the creation of the "Grad Plus Loan" as this particular loan generates the majority of questions and concerns.

Brenda,

Your posting definitely speaks to the need for communication in a writren format. Students need a document to refer back to and ensure their understanding of the insitution's process. Also, providing the email or phone number for additional guidance or clarification is an excellent idea.

Thanks, Chyrl

Cheryl,
I agree communication is the most important. If there is poor communication then there is room for error. I know that some people are poor in communication but in my experiance it is very difficult to complete a task on the 1st try if the communication is not clear. I am the type of person that goes back to a person and reiterates what is being asked of me. I feel this works for me so that I can complete my tasks in a more timely manner. I also think that company policy and procedures should be clear not only for a Financial Aid officer to be to read and follow but a student as well. WE should be making things as clear and easy for our students as possible. FA should not be a task for them but an experience.

Dina,

Your points on the need to be direct and clearly articulate your position is excellent. I completely agree with your points on the need to comunicate directly with your studnets - clear and concise directions. I love your comment on FA being an experience - it is brillant.

Best wishes on your continued education.

Chyrl

I agree that it is not only important to clearly communicate with the students, but also within departments. You can not be successful at either one without having open communication.

Erica,

Open communication is a critical part of the overall effectiveness of the school and student relationship. It is important to communicate with the student on his/her process and to insure that other departments are aware of the student's process. The entire team is responsible for the student's experience.

Best wishes in your continued online education process.

Sincerely, Chyrl

I agree with your comment. I have seen first hand that if one person has not been informed (left out of communication) problems may arise. Confusion and disorganization tend to be what the students perceive when communication is lacking.

Erica,

Clear and concise comunication is a must in dealing with students and meeting their needs. It is critical that the entire management team maintain an open line of comunication when dealing with students.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Sign In to comment