Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A quick self-assessment

If you’ve just completed a training course, please consider responding to the three self-assessment questions below. Your responses will help you and other participants to get a head start on the transfer of training process.

1. What have you learned? Write a brief summary of what you’ve learned.

2. How can you apply it? List one or two ways in which you can apply what you’ve learned in your professional practice.

3. What support do you need? Identify any support or additional information that you may need to apply what you’ve learned.

Hi,

I just completed a Max Knowledge training course, ED 101, and found it valuable.

I learned about the different roles that instructors are in such as models, managers, and motivators.  When I think of an awesome instructor from my own schooling, all of those roles were fufilled.  I hope I can motivate students to learn in my courses as a result of my own passion for the topics.

I can apply some of this new knowledge right away as I will be starting my second quarter in my first teaching job.  I hope to implement new ways to motivate the students for studying.

The support I need to continue to apply what I have learned is to maintain communication with my Program Director and other faculty colleagues regarding successful methods for motivation.

Hello, 

I have also just completed an ED course, in this case ED102. These are some of my findings in regards to the course:

1. What have you learned? 

I have learned to be more sure of my teaching practices. As an instructor, I am often friendly with my students and very understanding of their individual situations in life. I am constantly offering support. I will also let students vent about personal issues (outside of the classroom) and I like to make sure to say hello as we pass in halls or out of the classroom setting.

2. How can you apply it? 

Many of my students are taken aback when I say hello or take an interest in who they really are. I have had students come up to me and thank me for just saying hello because they've never had an instructor do that before. Often, the like knowing they should not fear me and that I am another human being.

I will continue to engage students in this manner. It really has upped both the student interest and retention. I have been thinking about doing some of the assignments along with my students and then sharing my own work when I ask the students to share. I think this will make them more confident in their sharing. It may also make things seem a little more fair. If they have to share, I should have to share as well. 

3. What support do you need? 

I don't think I need any additional support. Though, this class has made me want to spread awareness to my fellow instructors. If more professors would reach out just to say hello, the students may want to do better or participate more.

I think that you have to give a little of yourself in order to support and encourage your students to do the same.

Hello,  

I have just completed my first ed104 module and I am very confident that this will be an excellent teaching tool for myself in the classroom.  I often times will go to my superiors with questions and/or opinions of how to best handle certian situations and I feel that with this lesson I will now have the knowledge and the confidence to handle these situations myself.  I am in a classroom with all ages of adults, so I found the section on teaching adult learners to be very informative.  I will take what I have learned into my classroom imeadiatley and I look forward the the next module. 

I have completed two of the modules and have found them helpful. Not only have they given me support and ideas for my classes, but they have helped to reinforce what I have already implemented in my classes. It has been a good morale booster to know that I was at least on the right track of what I was doing.

I have found that informal learning has been very helpful in classes.  By this I mean that I use personal professional experiences to enhance the materials used in the text.  This gives a student that is not in the field yet; an idea of what expectations are in the field.  

I have completed the 4 modules of this course.

1. What I learned. I have learned that mixing up teaching stradegies helps keep the students attention. Student Centered learning is helpful because students learn from each other and retain more of the information than they retain from lectures. 

2. How can I apply it.  I have already initiated some icebreakers into my introduction class. I intend to make my syllabus more informative and user friendly.

3. What support do you need?  I think that inservices like this will help instructors master the classroom and increase retention in the classroom. The decussion on students that cheat on test was very helpful and will help me when setting up the physical classroom.

1. What have you learned? I have learned that teaching in various ways can help to accomodate the different learning styles of my students. I have learned several methods of teaching and how I can better meet the needs of my students. 

2. How can you apply it?I plan on making my syllabus easy for all level of readers to understand, and also to incorporate some informal information into my introduction in order to make my students feel more at ease.

3. What support do you need? I would need the support from my peers. I would like to see other instructors use similar methods of teaching in order for students to be able to receive consistent forms of education.

I recently finished ED104. I learned how to delaing with challenging students, as well as how to gain the attention of those students who do not understand why they are required to take the courses I teach.  Other information, supplied during this training reaffirmed what I have already been doing. I was very pleased to see that I was on the right track.

Hi,I just completed Ed 106 and found this to be a very applicable course for my student demographic. I will be more aware of learning disabilities and catch them earlier. Overall ,the courses enabled me to retrieve learned teaching skills and recognize issues I was aware of but was procrastinating about addressing. Hopefully I can take additional courses in the future.

I have just completed ED104. It provided me with valuable knowledge to apply as an Online Instructor. I was surprised that the material was so applicable to the Online environment.

I have learned how to become a Instructional Delivery Expert by setting the stage for success. Dealing with challenging students, managing student behavior, and common instructional mistakes were topics I learned as well.

I can apply this information in my online classes. I deal with late assignments all of the time and have felt guilty for assigning zeros to students who don't get permission from me for submitting an assignment late. Now, I know it's all about control and ensuring students meet my expectations.

The online university where I teach has provided me with a Quality Assurance person who is there to handle any questions I may have. He has proven to be invaluable.

I learned how to plan for student success. It's important to always be prepared for the classroom. Whether the students are not interested, prepared, or lack the prequesite skills and knowledge, I should be prepared to change my delivery, etc. I will have additional materials in case we have time left over from my instruction. There are many different instructional delivery methods. I have found that it is best to use a combination. These methods should be prepared in advance. I am always to be aware of what works and doesn't work and be prepared to change my delivery accordingly. Perhaps, one of the most important aspect aspects of instruction is having a good evaluation system. Rubrics are the best method to ensure fair and consistent evaluations.

Since I teach online, I am going to learn how to use the various media available to me. This will make my "Live Chats" more interesting. I will always ensure that I am prepared for anything that may happen during my "Live Chats." Rubrics will always be prepared for each assignment.

My university has assigned a Quality Assurance person to me. He is there to provide feedback and to answer any questions that I may have.

1. What have you learned? I have used the techniques suggested in ED102, and most come as second nature for teachers who truly have a passion for education.  However, I learned using a combination of these techniques can be much more effective.

2. How can you apply it? When I first start a class, I make it a point to get to know something special about each student.  This way I can connect with them to find out what challenges and obstacles they may be facing.  This gives me a better idea as to how to best motivate them and help them with their learning objectives.  I also give regular feedback to help them improve in areas as needed.

3. What support do you need? If advisors provided more detail to students regarding expectations prior to enrolling students, I think they would come to class better prepared for what they need to do to successfully navigate courses.

I recently completed ED 104 and learned that my experience (a LOT of it!!) jives with the information given in this course. Apparently, I have been applying most of this already...which is nice to know.

As for support from the college's staff, I couldn't ask for better!

I have recently competed ED103 and learned about differnt learning prefernces. I assumed that most artists would be visual learners but now realize I need to cater to all learning styles in order to get the best results from my students. I am going to download as suggested from the internet a sympal learning style test for my students.

I have just completed my second learning course, for some reason I could not log into ED101 so I completed 104 first, and then ED101. To my surprise, there was alot of things in ED101 that was not repeated in 104.  I have had the pleasure of instructing once in my current position as I am new to instructing in a class setting. After lecturing my first class, and finishing ED101 soon after I learned alot of things that I missed in giving my lecture. One thing that surprised me though, was the one student who wanted to take over. I did not allow him to I made him the designated observer. Out of everything else that I learned this technique really helped me. The support I got from the two instructors who sat in with me, was a big help as well. I learned to be prepared for anything, and I was not organized for some of the questions that I asked. (eg, there were not 2009 CPT code books when I began my questions) so from now on I will make sure that everyone has what they need in order for me to successfully instruct.  So Kudos to the educational courses offered. you will make an instructor out of me yet.

I just completed MaxKnowledge courses 104 &105.

Course 104 had some great tips on how to deal with the angry student. The bottom line is communication. Listen to what the student has to say and this will help to point us in the right direction on how to handle the situation. Course 105 deals with students who may be struggling and need some extra credit. It made some suggestions when to give extra credit and when not to. Some of the pointers were very helpful.

Hi everyone

In 101-106, I learned a lot about helping students with learning disabilities and how to help them cope. I found the most important fact was to have the student tell me if they've had an IEP in the past and what support they need. I also learned alot about basic things like putting together a lesson plan, etc. It was very helpful as I'm a new instructor.

I can apply pretty much everything I learned in these classes, which is what makes these classes so interesting. Most of the concepts match up with real life situations very well.

I think in the future, I may like to do the course about handling stress. Teaching can be very stressful and learning some techniques to deal with that can help.

I have completed ED 106 on E-Learning. It was very interesting to see and learn about how E-learning can be utilized for classes. I happen to like the structure that was described in the four modules. Thank you for this course.  

Sign In to comment