Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Stress

It is really important as an instructor to manage stress and seperate home stresses from work stresses.  It is also important for an instructor to let his/her students in on this important rule. 

I agree.  We cannot allow stress to emcompass us and ultimately take over in the classroom.  We must learn to control and channel it and turn it into a positive.

I agree it's important to have some stress reliever in place to help you cope with stressful situations. Exercising is a great stress reliever. A nice brisk walk through the park is not only therapeutic but also a great way to keep the body in motion.

I also believe in discussing stress mechanism with other colleagues' especially those with some tenure. They may be able to share some techniques to help you cope with the different stress levels.

I find it very helpful explaining to students that they should view their education as a "long orientation session" towards achieving their future career goals.  In that context, I provide my students with the insights that some stress is good; but teaching them the difference between life stress and work stress and which one to leave "outside the door" is a great skill for their toolboxes and future success.

I agree. In my online class, I make sure students are aware of all task deadlines and provide outlines and other tools to help them manage their time. I also let them know what is going on in my worklife, including dates they can expect to receive grade feedback and email communication turnaround time. 

Taking some time away from the virtual environment does help in returning with new ideas. When one cannot generate new ideas in writing it is probably due to needing a break from the task at hand. While away it is a good idea to do something enjoyed whether it is exercise, having breakfast or lunch with a friend, or getting together with a social group to do something fun.

Wanda

Wonda; you are right; new ideas do not come necessarily on work. Sometime, vacation or break or a group discussion helps

@Monica; yes stress reliever should be there whether its an activity or a shoulder to fall back upon

Stress can make it difficult to motivate students,it can also discourage you.

I agree that we should all have a plan to manage stress in our work environment.  The largest component is handling students that are not prepared to receive the material that we have prepared for them.  We must all count to 10 on this one.  However,  please recognize that 90% of the time the issues that block students from full participation are not related to the faculty.  We have to work to overcome those barriers by partnering with our students.  We should partner in a manner that overcomes obstacles

It is very important to manage your stress. If you as an instructor are stressed tha class will certainly pick up on it. They tent to get to know you very quickly. Stress is not a welcomed "visitor" in the class.

Sign In to comment