Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New thoughts for motivation

ED112 has some great ideas for tightening the approaches to class activities and instructor support.  It was good to be reminded about an adult student's need for security and autonomy, and that these may be provided easily and with comfort.  Adults may make more of the daily and course decisions, and add input to which direction they want to go.  I got a good insight into intrinsic and extrinsic motivations.

Security and Autonomy---Intrinsic and Extrinsic are gray to me.

What ever happenend to the selfmotovated get ahead attitude this country had? Why is it my job to kick start a student who has chosen this and is paying to be here? So much for generation Y.

Frank, I absolutely agree. Even my daughter's high school teachers state the kids don't have critical thinking skills due to "I want it now" decade.  The internet has somewhat cripled our kids,  I think.

In our program I feel that students have to be self motivated to complete their career goals. It is important for the instructors to keep them motivated about the decisions they made for their future. Sometimes motivation can be as easy as focusing on the end of the term. Others, especially with the generation Y, it is important to keep them focused on the extrinsic motivators, such as graduation and getting a job!

I guess the desire just isnt there like it was in my generation. Maybe we are getting too High-Tech. Too much Extrinsic and not enough Intrinsic.

Woring with students so they can see personal progress and experience growth and development is a good method of motivation.

I love working with student as well.  I want them to continue to be challenge and to acheive the goals that they have set for themselves.  I do feel that students need to be self motivated as well.  The healthcare industry is ever changing and challenging and student must want to continue to learn and grow to have a successful career.  I want to be one who facilitates that.

I agree with the comment about too much extrinisc motivation..."you get an 'A' or 'atta boy' just for participating, not for real motivation, hard work and effort."  I did enjoy the course, and learned some good techniques that I will try incorporating in my classroom.  I have a wide range of students, from right out of highschool to adults, in my classes, so these techniques should be very helpful.

I completed ED102, 104, 105 and 106 within the last two years.  I have found Max Knowledge is easy to use, adds greatly to my store of knowledge, and has given me many wonderful tools to use as an instructor.  I have just completed EL105, and I would recommend it highly.  It introduced me to Rubrics, with which I was not familiar.  "Rubric" is now in my tool box, and I plan to use it with every new term, tweaking it/them as necessary!  Thank you, Max Knowledge!

I only completed Ed 101 and 102 both courses enhance my online teaching skills. I am looking forward to the rest of the courses.

Motivating people is tough - especially the younger ones. It seems to me that if you signed up for a career college, the "self" motivation should already be there. I'm excited about what I do and the path my career has taken me. I try to instill that same passion in every student I teach. Unfortunately, not every student has the same reason for coming to class.

I agree with you Richard. Granted it took me 10 years and a complete change in industries to be happy with what I am doing but people and things change. I know that when I made the decision to change I told myself I had to be completely sure and while you can't be 100% I went for it and am very happy now.

Maybe younger students are still unsure, are being pushed into making a choice, or like I did consider a career college a choice for those who aren't good enough for a 4 year university. Don't get me wrong coming in and now finding joy in a career I studied and received a degree in after a four year university and graduate program I am a true believer of career colleges. I just think there may be a negative perception of career colleges/trade schools out there especially when compared to European education systems.

My apologies I may have gotten off topic but these thoughts came to me as I read your post especially after a recent conversation with a friend regarding her two recently high school graduated sons.

I would love to hear peoples opinions on this matter...maybe even some instructors.

I really enjoyed this class.  It was very interesting and it gave helpful ideas and insight on motivating students.

I just completed Course 104 Class management Strategies and I picked up a lot of tips as a New VN Instructor. I hope to apply the tips to my group of VN students in a motivating factor for success! I enjoyed the course and found it to be cvery useful!

@YMR8rDvA : I think that in order for students to maintain their motivation, they have to be reminded of "Whats in it for them". At the beginning of each course, the class discusses why they are here, what they want from their education, and where they want to be in the future. Many will say, "I want spending money" or "I want a new place to live" or "I want a car". Then we discuss long range goals (owning a house, traveling, retirement, etc.). We discuss that in order to get there, we have to start on succeeding one class at a time. Sometimes, students will lose their motivation along the way. We also discuss how intrinsic motivation is the best kind to have - others will often let us down if we look to them to motivate us. Sometime we need to be reminded of what we want and where we are going along our journey. Perhaps our motivations change and we decide school is NOT what we are excited to do. Then I propose: what is your plan B? How long will it take? How much money will it cost? Will you be able to realistically achieve your goals that way?

@catvbc :I agree, 

@fglass : I totally agree with your comment.  Just a short 6 years ago, we as students in our career fields were hungry for the knowledge and experience of an education and career.  Now it seems, from my perspective as an instructor, that the students do not want to use any type of determination or have any motivation to get the job at hand done/completed.  They want you to hand them all aspects of learning and achieving any goal set forth in their education process: on a silver platter.

I am in total agreement with Carolyn. Students need to be reminded every now and then "What is in it for them". Remind them now and remind them again after a few days. It is like giving a tune up for our car. After a tune up the car will run smoothly for a while.  It starts slowing down after a few months. Well, it is time for another tune up. We need to stay on it. Majority of  students will get the message and they will stay focused.

@rsawitskas : This is such a great dialogue.  Motivation is a moving target!  First I think we need to challenge the students to ask themselves what motivates them... what makes them tick.  Is it money, reaching a goal, pleasing their parents?  Whatever it is, if I knew, I could play on that more. 

I have students who are incredibly intrinsicly motivated.  Then there are others I ask myself , why exactly are you here?  Just to me crazy?  Maybe that's their motivation... to make the instructor crazy.  None the less, my lesson over the past few years has been that every student is different.  It's a huge challenge to meet them where they are individually without sacrificing the time and collective goals. 

Sign In to comment