Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Handling Stress

Handling stress and time management go hand in hand to me.  I have a very difficult time saying "no".  I am getting better and I held my ground this past quarter for the most part I did not let them turn in really late work, or give me all their excuses under the sun.  I felt much better about the end of the quarter not trying to grade all the late work that students had turned in to me.  I have trouble finding that line to helping the student succeed and learn and have policies that will hurt those that procrasinate and expect me to grade work that is many weeks late.  It was much less stressful, not completely stress free with those that still wanted to turn in work that was 5+ weeks late (which I did not accept).  But I was able to stick to me policy and am considering make it no work later than 1 week.

I enjoyed this lesson.  I found the comment that your employer and studnets are not in control of your time to be interesting.  Often times I feel they interfere with my personal time.  I am working on that.  This is a good reminder that I am in control. 

I already utilize the tools that were presented in this lesson. Was a good reminder to keep it up to help with the stress.

As is the case in professional settings outside of school such as when functioning as a healthcare provider, most important habit one can develop and acquire is as follow: refrain from taking matters personally and always look for ways to improve teaching style no matter how good or not good one is. Time management would be one section.

This last question is something we as instructors must live by. Because if we do not, we will never try new methods within our classroom. Sure, new methods will stress us out, but how do you think our students feel? Most will commend you for trying something different. They like change just as much as you do!

I think handling stress is not easy for everybody. Different people react differently to a stressful situation. Techniques mentioned in this course are extremly helpful. If we welcome a stressful event with open arms and try to find out a way out, it will be a good stress for us. I always learned from failures of my life. overall, it is a good lesson for everybody.

It is difficult to manage the stress of preparing for classes where the student population is diverse. The best advice I can offer is to work in advance of the class. Focus on the career goals of the students and engage them in the planning of class activities. What surprised me is that many adult students will read ahead on the class prospectus and ask questions. I review the course syllabus and prospectus documents with the students. We talk openly about their career programs and what activities would interest them. As time  on the course schedule for the activities, the students remember the activity plans and often inquire whether we are going to continue with the activities discussed. Having the students buy-in makes my job easier.

The best way to manage time and stress is to prepare ahead of time and to always have a Plan B. Also, being knowledgeable about the backgrounds and diversity of individuals in your class will help you to develop a better rapport with students.

Sign In to comment