Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internationalizing Work-Based Learning

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Internationalizing Work-Based Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The students will have many opportunities to enhance their global experience when they participate in Work Base Learning (WBL) activities. 

'We have been practicing this methodology in the hospitality industries for a number of years. WBL has proven to be beneficial for the employer and the student.

The Global Industry Analysis Assignment questions are helpful.  The Work-Based Learning in California research report is a comprehensive document. It provides a comprehensive model for WBL. 

We have been practicing WBL through hospitality international internships. In the age of pandemic, we have shifted our WBL to computer simulations - Knowledge Matters Case Simulations.  

Work base learning is spreading to more academic disciplines and it is providing unique experiences for students to enhance their learning experiences and overall career development.  

I like the emphasis on equitable access to global workplace experiences. At a community college, we often have students who have barely traveled beyond their county, so bringing them at least virtual opportunities is a key.

As a writing teacher, I see so many opportunities for research projects for students here -- but I can also see partnering with other faculty whose students will be engaged in internships or clinicals to build in writing/research complements to give students exposure to role writing and critical reading/thinking will play in their work environments.

This module had so many good resources, especially since they were also connected to our states.  Students are generally interested when they discover things that relate to them, and I think they would be surprised to see that there was 0-as in zero-value placed on international students in our county.  We have had international students, so I am not sure if this is because people recording this information were unaware, or if their presence did not make an economic impact.  Either way, we have some work to do.  

Seeing the metrics was eye opening, and I think it will be for students too.

This module has led me to reconnect with German furnishings organizations and educators to create opportunities for my students.  I teach Internship for Interior Design students so I am involved in their work-based education.  I would love to see some of our students find opportunities in Europe and Germany in particular.  

To internationalize work-based learning in my courses, I will seek partnerships with organizations or companies operating globally. I'll design experiential learning opportunities that expose students to diverse workplace cultures and practices. This could involve virtual internships, cross-border projects, or guest lectures from industry experts around the world. By incorporating international perspectives into work-based learning, students will develop global competence and enhance their readiness for the global workforce.

Sign In to comment