Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Services

What student services are offered by your institution and how do you plan to discuss them with prospective students?

Orientation, Academic Assistant, other Counseling, and housing.

Belen,

How do you specifically discuss these things with the students Belen? All great student services too, and you must be prepared to respond to specific questions or again, direct them to the proper department.

Donna Guisado

We show and give the potential students our school catalog to answer they questions and direct them to students services for better explanations to their questions.

Belen,
That's the right answer Belen, especially where BPPE is concerned. One of their requirements is that anyone who requests a catalog can have access to it. It's important that you are already tuned in to that.

Donna Guisado

The people that work in our student services are there for the student from the time they start their program, to the completion of their program and often times even beyond that. They truly care about our students success. Since we are a very small school they are able to quickly check in with the student if they seem to be missing class or struggling, to find out how we can help them succeed. I often bring up student services and tell our potential students about the many ways they can assist them throughout their program. They like being reassured that we want them to succeed and are there to help them do so.

We offer housing and job placement as well. We also have assisted in food drives for some who are having a difficult time transitioning. We look at this facility like a family. How can we help the student succeed in life not only while enrolled and attending.

Sarah,

I think this is the best service, and one of the unique components of a private post-secondary school. Being small really allows us to provide our students with one-on-one assistance in these very important areas. I've seen student services literally change the direction of a student's life before. Good to know your organization values this.

Donna Guisado

johnny,

I'm curious if you actually offer housing or if you offer housing "assistance". There is a difference, and many agencies are particular about how that is presented to prospective students. It is important however, to have those types of assisting services in place. It's just important that it is clearly explained to the student.

Donna Guisado

Our Student Services offers thorough orientation, regular counseling and motivation, problem solving, tutoring options and mentoring help for students to stay positive throughout their experience through to graduation.

In additional to orientation, we also have a career service department who introduces and implements a "day one" program during orientation. This gives the students the opportunity to set up a plan while pursuing their education from day one to beyond graduation. The program helps the student learn and overcome their individual weakness and strength, assist to discover their skill set as it developments and discover which specific job paths they may want to explore in the overall industry. Career services also offers guest speakers and alumni field trips.
During an interview/tour with a perspective student, the admissions department talks about these services and how they are available to both current students and alumni. We encourage them to visit our College's Bog and social media sties and, if time permits, may even show perspective students specific articles on these sites that highlights these services, guest speakers, workshops, alumni field trips/seminars, etc.

Our college offers Orientation, Academic and general counseling but we do not offer housing. While we do not do on campus housing, we do offer tools to find great housing nearby. Many of the apartment complexes near the college offer discounts for our students.

Ying,

Sounds like your organization is on top of helping the student succeed. So important, and great that you are aware of it!

Donna Guisado

The admission dept is available for questions. Financial aid is available for money concerns. The department heads will help with employment questions.

Before enrollment I explain to prospective students that Student Services is there to help students with many obstacles they may encounter during the time they are attending our college (i.e. transportation, housing, academic assistance). During orientation, Student Services again explains their function to our students.

I explain to prospective students that Student Services is there to help students with many obstacles they may encounter during the time they are attending our college (i.e. transportation, housing, academic assistance).

Our student services deparment offers tutoring, help with bus transportation, food coupons for students, and other valuable help. ill explain to the propective student, that there is help and show them where the deparment is located.

Typically, a prospect will contact us by phone or see our website. We send them a catalog, if requested,or answer questions they have about the information they found on the website. We encourage students to come to the campus for tours, where they can sit and get more information from the various departments - student financial assistance, housing International advisor, career servises, etc. Once enrolled, we have orientation, both on-line and on-site, before class starts.

At our institute, we inform prospects and students about the the various resources available to them and that it is up to them to take advantage and utilze the resouces available to them. Some of these resources include housing assistance and career services. We also make sure to clarify that the annual career fair is open to the public, as well as the job board, which has open positions within the industry and is searchable on our website.

Renada ,

Sounds like you are all doing the right thing by your students. Very important and good to hear!

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment