Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

accreditation

If accreditation is voluntary, why do so many schools do it?

Jamie,

One of the main reasons schools seek accreditation is because they are not eligible for federal financial aid if they are not accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

That is very true, but accreditation is also another way of saying your school is 'credible' and offers up degrees that employers are looking for prospective employees to have. And let's also be honest, people look down on schools that don't have accreditation. Some people still think our school isn't accreditited and are surprised to find out we are. It's important.

I agree that accreditation is important. I was unaware that schools would be ineligible for financial aid if they were not accredited.

Thanks!

accredition is very important and is essential part of our everyday behaviors

First and foremost, if a school is accredited it means their potential students are eligible to recieve the financial aid for which they qualify for. Second, if a school is not accredited by the state, there's a very good chance that the school's practices are not 100% good for the students. The school is not putting the students first if it is not accredited.

Accredidation from the right accreditation body is important. Often students also enquire if the school is affiliated to a certain board--like the 'BAR Assocition' for a Paralegal degree

Anya,

Just for clarification purposes, schools are not "accredited" by the state. They are licensed or approved by the state. Accredition is a separate process that a school can go through. State approval is mandatory and accreditation is optional.

I agree with you John. This is also very important to the high school teachers and guidance counselors that let us in their schools as well.

Accreditation is another opportunity to show the student that the policies, procedures, and operations of the school have been held to a specific standard, according to that accrediting body.

I am asked all the time what is the difference in all the types of accreditationw. Our college is accreditated through ACICS and I explain that because we are accreditated we are able to offer Title IV funding.

That is a great reason to become accredited, so that students can receive federal funding. This is beneficial to both the student and the school.

One trend I am noticing is that students are aking and becoming more aware of accreditation.

Yes, accreditation is extremely important! I was also unaware that schools would be ineligible for financial aid if they were not accredited. It is amazing how many students are unaware of this and when they find out, they are all about enrollment!

I find it better that Accreditation is not done by state. That will make sure that schools are not unfairly left out of accreditation.

I think accreditation & credit transferbility is one of the biggest issues or concerns students have among funding tuition. I would be concerned if the institution I was attending wasn't accredited because some post secondary institutions won't recognize your degree as well as some employers.

Sign In to comment