Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Transfer of Credits...

I knew that policy addressed the transfer of credits into a school but I did not know it addresses transferred credits out of the school.

Salvador:

Transfer of credit decisions are always made by the school that is accepting the credits. Thus, each school has their own policy for determining what type of credits will be accepted. Admissions representatives should not suggest or imply that credits are easily transferrable because this is rarely the case. If a student insists on knowing whether "school x" will accept transfer credits from your school, its best to advise the student to contact "school x" about their transfer of credit policy.

We have recently obtained a written articulation agreement with a college in our area that offers bachelor and master's degrees. This has been a tremendous help for our students. We have one of the best community colleges in the nation in our area that offers articulations with over 180 colleges so this has given our students options in the private sector.

I too was surprised to realize that the regulations covered the transfer of credits out of the school. I think it is important to inform every student that if they plan to transfer to another school, it is up to the school they are transferring to weather or not they accept any credits earned.

After learning that each school sets its own standards for acceptance of credits, it is imperative that we let the student know that the transfer of credits is different at each institution and to find out what credits might transfer with another school especially if they have attended and earned credits with a school while pursuing their undergraduate degree.

I think the need to know the articululation agreements that your school has is one of the more important things you can learn over time. This would be an excellent addition to your binder of information. Articulation agreements let you speak condfidently about incoming courses that are outlined in the agreement. It is always a best practice to advise the student to check with the school they want to take go to. Especially in the scenario they are looking to take classes with them.

Transfer of credits is very important to all students! Most students I meet with say that they are not planning on furthering thier education, however with the job market changes a lot of adults look to re-train in a new career. I always encourage students to further thier education and to look one-step ahead. Transfering is usually a hassle (I know first hand) and so researching your next school is important. I know that once I returned to school I chose a school that already has credits that will transfer to other schools. It was the best choice I made.

I think this is so important to inform the students that they really, really need to look into credit transfer. Even if they do not think they are going to transfer it always a good idea to look into a few different schools and their credit transfer policy. What if something unexpected comes up. They need to always be prepared.

This subject can be very sensitive.I have always found that the best way to handle it is to, just simply state that it is solely up to the receiving institution,as to what credits can transfer into a program.

You are absolutely right. We can never guarantee that someone's credits will transfer to another school. That's one of the main FAQ's that I receive from students. Many of them don't realize it's up to the receiving institution.

Transfer of credits, whether into our school or out to another school, is very important to express, because there have been many shcools caught on tape misleading students about both areas. No school wants to be the one labeled as misleading potential students.

I agree this can be a sensitive subject. I always remind students that we are all about training them for a new career and our goal is to get them working in their field as soon as possible. Our school also has articulation agreements with a few local schools, so it's nice to let them know it's still an option to further their education in the future.

Our admissions representatives are very specific with prospective students about the fact that our school does not accept transfer credits from other schools, as our programs are not designed to do so. We stress the importance of contacting the school that they may wish to transfer to in order to determine if our credits will be accepted by them. We emphasize that it is always up to the individual school to determine if they will accept credits, and that we do not have articulation agreements with any other schools.

Trudy,

It sounds like your admissions representatives are handling the issue of transfer credits very well.

I agree. When I'm talking to a student who tells me they are going to start at community college and transfer out after a period of time, I tell them that it's important to know up front what schools take their credits. I also ask the student what schools they are considering after they are done with classes at the local CC. I tell them that they need to check and see if those schools will accept credits from the CC they plan on attending. It can save the student dollars in the long run and headaches down the road.

This is a subject that I find I need to spend a little more time discussing with high school students. Many, will respond that they understand it, but most don't. I make sure I explain that the credits you earn here will or will not tranfer, but it is up to the receiving institution which credits they will except. Many, students need to understand exactlly what it means. I inform them that if they decide later that they want to further their degree, It's clear that they may have to retake a course at another college. But, I do tell them if our college has an articulation agreement with certain colleges, that they may not have to repeat some classes.

I agree! It is very important to let the protential student know the process of having the transcripts sent to our registar so they can see what if any will tranfer for them.

This whole issue can be confusing unless you know exact information

I absolutely agree. I think this is an area where students tend to have many questions. It is important that they are given accurate information to foster accurate expectations.

This is of utmost importance to your student's success. If they are unaware of the transferability of credits (either to or from) our school, it could be a sore point with the student down the road. Many students have been to post-secondary education before and hope they are able to transfer in as many credits as possible. The registrar will evaluate and alert the student to the number of acceptable transfer credits. (We have many criteria for accepting credits...grade achieved, accredited school, pertinent to the new degree, etc...) Also, to advise the student our credits may or may not be accepted by another school. The receiving school has the right to accept or deny credits from another school.

Sign In to comment