Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding your Institution

Staying current on new programs, requirements and outcomes will enhance the reputation of school

I completely agree. It is important to have the most current data that you can get. By doing so you can accurately represent your programs. Schools often times add programs that meet a specific need or area identified. The more knowledge that the agent has about the program and the current outlooks of the program the better. I think the professionalism demonstrated by the knowlegable agent represents the school well.

Knowing I believe is half the battle. Implementation of that knowledge is what makes individuals and companies successful. I agree with you Ruth, the best way to continue to develop successful students is to make them aware, and that starts with us!

I agree. At our school each department actuall informs us about their courses and allows us to participate in at least one activity the students will perform over the course of their study. It really allows us to have something tangible to talk to potential students about.

I agree. Nothing discredits you more than offering incorrect information to students. It is important that we have the most current, up to date information for our students. One of the hardest things about our job is having to tell a potential student that the program you presented to them isn't even available.

As an admissions officer we are expected to be the experts about our school. This requires that we have at least a basic understand of all of the different departments, rules and regulations, as well as the academic curriculum offered in the different fields. Having a quick reference guide, intranet, and of course the knowledge of our peers is crucial for us to perform efficiently.

Obviously giving incorrect info to prospective and current students benefits no one. It hurts both the school's reputation and my personal reputation and makes it harder for each to acheive their purposes. And of course it can only cause problems for the students. Giving right info the first time and doing things right is always better and more efficient. Keeping on top of all the pertinent details of the institution are paramount.

I agree. Understanding your institution is key.

Absolutely - this is the only way for you to be confident and COMPETANT in your role as an Admissions Rep - it kills the reputation of the school if the front line does not know the ins and outs of EVERYTHING being offered - including the licensure process and passing stats of each of the programs that require it!

I cannot agree more with you! I have always said Know Your Business! And if you do not go to the individual or individauls who do know the answers.

That is so true - there is no shame in not knowing and shows a quality of honesty.

Hi Ruth,

Having great product knowledge makes a person a professional. Knowing where to find the knowledge quickly is a key to success. Assuring a student on possible outcomes gives them motivation and confidence in their decision,

Nothing makes me feel less sure about a purchase than when the person selling it to me seems nervous or unknowlegable about the product. When the sales person has confidence, it trickles down to the consumer.

I agree! Not only does it make me uncomfortable when I am shopping somewhere to realize that the employee does not know their product BUT it also makes me uncomfortable to put myself in a situation where I am not knowledgeable. People can easily sense whether a someone knows what they are talking about so being prepared is key. All information given to an incoming student must be accurate so I always make sure to seek out the answer to a question immediately if I do not know it off the top of my head.

By doing the things you listed will enhance the reputation of your school, but most importantly by understanding your institution and the regulations, students will definately have a better understanding of what is ahead of them , and is more likely to finish school.

It is imperative that reps know this information but as a Registrar I don't have to know the detail information that reps do.

I agree! The more you can learn and inform others the better.

I have had to benefit of working in most of our departments at my school. This has given me better insight with each department pertaining to perspective students. Our school also has all school personnel involved regarding decisions matters with our academic programs. I also take different classes at our school; I feel that having firsthand experience with our programs and school instructors gives me better knowledge I can pass along to perspective students.

Sign In to comment