Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admission Test Fear

Are student usually afraid of the Admission exams?

Most people don't like test, especially adults who haven't taken a class or test in years. Also, adults don't like being embarrassed by a low test, especially in front of admissions personnel.

Chuckle. More often than not the prospective student with the "Oh No, a test" look on the face scores out pretty well.

At my school we have decided to incorporate an admissions test, it is something new that we are trying for the next upcoming semester. I have noticed that the majority of the prospective students do bulk at the test, because we call it a test. They ask why do I need to take a test BEFORE I start school. We have decided to incorporate the exam so that, as a staff, we can better help the student pass his/her classes. It also gives the prospective student an idea as to how serious the program is!!!

Thats a great way to phrase it to the student! I always find that if you talk through the fear of the admission exam that they tend to feel better. Some students may say " I hate test" or "I never did good with test in school". I find that asking students to elaborate on these statments helps put them at ease and also provides me with more insights into their educational background.

I wouldn't call it "fear", but anxiousness about testing! Most prospective students don't enjoy taking entrance tests because they know it can affect the outcome of admission to a college. I always explain the test and give students access to resources prior to testing. Most students will take advantage of study guides or websites that will help to prepare them for the test. The more knowledge a student has about the testing, the more comfortable they are when they sit down for the test.

some folks are but I tell them that it is straight forward reading comprehension, spacial understanding, and some simple story problems and lasts only 13 minutes. I tell them the test makes sure that they possess the proper tools in their tool box so we can them train them properly.

We are actually told to call it a "Math Assessment" versus a "Math Test" telling them that it helps us determine their math capabilities to provide better remedial math if necessary. But in reality, they know it's a math test.

Sure, I think many students who have been out of school for a while are very nervous about taking a test, since they probably haven't taken a test in a long time. I think everyone gets a little nervous or anxious about doing well on the test since it is something required to start classes.

I believe that if you are able to give the student resources to prepare for the assessment, it relieves a considerable amount of anxiety.

Adults who have been out of school for awhile might score poorly if given an assessment without any type of review. If they have a resource that helps them refresh their knowledge, they will score much higher.

Most people don't like exam's so I would say yes

Many prospective students not only fear admission tests, they have an expectation of failure. Rather than asking me how to prepare for it, they ask me how many times they can re-take it. I encourage them to overcome their anxiety. I also tell them that we can discuss what happens after they PASS the test. I don't encourage negativity. Does anyone have additional suggestions?

When I talk to my prospective students I like to make them feel comfortable about the process. Instead of calling it a test, I like to call it an evaluation. It just lets me know where you are so I can better serve my students. I have never had a negative response to this and the comfort level is there.

We at Virginia Marti College call it an “Academic Placement Survey”. 95 % of the time, I’ll get a smile or a grin. They know exactly what it is but it does seem to make them more comfortable.

We inform the student when we start the interview that they will be required to take an entrance assessment if they would like to be admitted to the University. They are ususally a bit intimidated, but they understand it is part of the process.

Several times I have encountered an adult who has been out of class for a while and had to take an admissions test and has been embarrassed by the results. I just try to be as supportive for them as possible.

I have found it beneficial to tell them it lets them know what options they have. I call it an evaluation. I have also found that the ones who think they will not do well usually do better than those who are over confident. Tell them to take a deep breath and take the time to read carefully

Yeah it is definitely a psychological blocker for many adults. The embarrassement stigma plays a huge role and it is evident when they student is excited and then once the test is taken and no passed their attitude completely changes. I too offer support to the student's but I also remind them that this is college and it is work and this is just a quick first step to leap over.

I really like how some of you called it an evaluation instead of a test. Not only does it ease the mind of the prospective student but it may allow them to see the test as an opportunity! My institution works with many adults who have not recently graduated High School or have a GED. Any ideas on ways to ease their minds?

That is an excellent idea! I am one of those people who "hate and loathe" tests and I usually do horribly.

I like using the work ASSEMENT better as that tends to take some pressure off.

Sign In to comment